My 14bolt R&P is toasted. Need recommendations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got around to installing a B&M diff cover that's been sitting in my Garage for some time. When I dumped the oil it was a disgusting shade of chocolate brown, like most diffs that don't see a whole lot of inspections/maintenance. It also didn't look like a whole lot of oil, and my suspicions where correct since the oil-level line on the diff cover was about 1" or so below the fill plug. Looked like It didn't have a whole lot of oil in it, which worried me.

Then I looked at the ring gear:
You must be registered for see images attach

I can only stipulate the cause of this wear. Either this truck was an over-worked tow pig, or the lack of maintenance of the diff caused this. Truck's got 101k on it now, runs fine, shifts fine, sucks to know the rear end has suffered.

The current shimming looks to be ok, based on the location of the wear pattern on the trailing edge of the tooth:
You must be registered for see images attach

So, a friend of mine is having his 10 bolt rebuilt soon and will be asking for a quote for a new R&P on my own truck. I'd love to do this myself and I would do it, but I have no reliable access to a shop and hydraulic press.

So, does anyone have recommendations on a R&P set? Yukon? Richmond? Should I keep the Eaton unit (I've heard the 14blt unit is stout) or swap to an ARB? This truck will just be a DD, and will be towing boats here and there (Whenever that purchase happens) so I know I don't "Need" an Air locker, but it'll be nice whenever I use it for any stump-pulling, trail building, go to off-road shooting ranges, etc. I don't think I'll be up-righting the leaning tower of Pisa though.

Current diff ratio is 4.11. I have 285/75R17's on it, which would normally call for 4.56's, but that also means the front diff would need to be changed as well. I don't see the need to go lower since I could always run and find an extra set of "factory" wheels/tires to use while towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf