Muffler shop vs. Exhaust kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowride55

Reaction score
Ok so on ebay I can buy an exhaust kit complete with pipes, muffler, hangers, and clamps for $219 delivered to my front door. If I choose to use a thrush welded instead I can buy it for $40 and pipes with hangers and clamps for $150. If I buy the muffler for $40 how much does the average muffler shop charge for providing and installing the pipes? This is what Im thinking of getting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190370724311?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just the pipes, clamps, and hangers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190489176791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
muffler choice it up to you but i have bought a exhaust from that company on ebay and it fit very well on my buddys NBS

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
most guys in my area that do exhaust charge in the range of 250 and up to bend up a dual setup with the muffler being supplied by the owner of the vehicle

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
i would go with muffler shop myself. its local and they bend it around your truck for a great fit. if the trucks stock then a kit might work but in all honesty if you have any mods like lowered mostly it can posibly not fit around your aftermarket parts. maybe even a trailer hitch.
IMO your local muffler shop GOOD SHOP THAT IS is recomended. just go there and talk to them and you can tell them how you would like it, routing, pipe exits, tips blablabla perfectly to you. and if its not right they should fix it.
but there is one thing that muffler shops WILL NOT DO. IS THEY WILL NOT DELETE FACTORY CATS! and some might not touch the vehicle if it clearly doesnt have cats and is suposed to. you know its the law so they cannt. so if you gonna delete cats then you have to do that yourself in your own garage.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
after looking, that's pretty expensive for tailpipes.

That's all I see, tailpipes and hanger with clamps, $150? I think not.

and then $220 for a muffler, nah.

I had a complete exhaust from headers back on an 85 monte carlo, with 2 gutted cats which run $35 a piece, glasspacks, and tailpipes all welded and hangers welded for $220 or so.

My old man paid around the same to have his truck done, headers back, gutted cats, reused his tips and what part of the tails they could.

not to mention clamps can leak, or let it leak, they rust over time and just fall of.