TBI True Dual Exhaust Tips. Maybe Sticky?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know there are a ton of discussions, but I really feel like we need a sticky on this. Are there any recommendations on parts lists for a 2.5" True dual exhaust for a TBI? Is there anyone here that has done a full setup without breaking the bank to have a shop custom fab up a full 2.5" system? Any tips/hits for items that can be purchased and maybe just have an exhaust shop weld in some extensions for long bed/ext cab/crew cab? I talked to one shop locally, if I supplied the cats, x pipe and muffler, they would connect it all for ~800$.

I was looking at possibily getting the below and having two cats added to it, however it's 2.25". I guess I could have some sort of junkyard intermediate pipe to bolt up to it and expand to 2.5". There's also kits on ebay without mufflers to go over the axle and side exit.

Thanks

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure where your located but that’s extremely to much. Last true dual setup I had done cost around 400 and i even bought the mufflers and x pipe there.
You must be registered for see images attach

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
You should be able to run the vortec Jegs offroad y pipe on your tbi. I think dynomax has an H-pipe for behind it then pick any 2 mufflers you want. That's a no cat set up so depends on local laws I guess. I'm runnin that set up on both trucks with hooker aero chambers (my neighbors love my trucks). 4wd has an amazon special tailpipe set up and 2wd just dumps at axle.

Ok I didn't see you saw the Jegs pipes. Does your locale require cats on older vehicles? Your trucks pushin 30 yrs old at least. My 96 has o2 Sims for cat delete to fool pcm and the 98 has the rear o2s tuned out. I'm out in the country side in a non e-check Ohio county so I'm not worried. Nothin of mine has converters.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where your located but that’s extremely to much. Last true dual setup I had done cost around 400 and i even bought the mufflers and x pipe there.

Man that looks really good. I remember seeing that somewhere in here. I’m in the Houston area.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably illegal to use two catalysts on a truck that came with only one.

It is of course illegal to delete the catalysts entirely, but folks do when there aren't local emissions inspections. Not my first choice.

A single 3" pipe system will flow approximately as good as a dual 2.5 system, with less expense and lower noise. Particularly with a TBI that doesn't have much RPM potential to begin with. Spend the money on a decent Y-pipe, that's where the real restriction is. The rest is largely "window dressing".

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Probably illegal to use two catalysts on a truck that came with only one.

It is of course illegal to delete the catalysts entirely, but folks do when there aren't local emissions inspections. Not my first choice.

A single 3" pipe system will flow approximately as good as a dual 2.5 system, with less expense and lower noise. Particularly with a TBI that doesn't have much RPM potential to begin with. Spend the money on a decent Y-pipe, that's where the real restriction is. The rest is largely "window dressing".
Good point. Could do a single in/dual out muffler at that point n save a good bit of money.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are way too many opinions on exhaust for a sticky post to be anything more than a mess of arguing. If we were to have an exhaust sticky, I think we'd need to nail down a forum-agreed single exhaust plan and an agreed dual exhaust plan. Good luck on getting people agreeing to even that.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I think there are way too many opinions on exhaust for a sticky post to be anything more than a mess of arguing. If we were to have an exhaust sticky, I think we'd need to nail down a forum-agreed single exhaust plan and an agreed dual exhaust plan. Good luck on getting people agreeing to even that.
You're probably right. Some guys will stay factory. Some will want a deep rumble and all the mufflers sound different and pipe can be bent to exit anywhere. It's like pizza. Too many styles with too many options.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I know there are a ton of discussions, but I really feel like we need a sticky on this. Are there any recommendations on parts lists for a 2.5" True dual exhaust for a TBI? Is there anyone here that has done a full setup without breaking the bank to have a shop custom fab up a full 2.5" system? Any tips/hits for items that can be purchased and maybe just have an exhaust shop weld in some extensions for long bed/ext cab/crew cab? I talked to one shop locally, if I supplied the cats, x pipe and muffler, they would connect it all for ~800$.

I was looking at possibily getting the below and having two cats added to it, however it's 2.25". I guess I could have some sort of junkyard intermediate pipe to bolt up to it and expand to 2.5". There's also kits on ebay without mufflers to go over the axle and side exit.

Thanks
I bought that h pipe. Also bought the duel kit to go with it.
The front pipe is nice and way bigger than the vortec pipe. Had to drill out holes in one of the flanges to get it over the studs. I like the entire kit. I bought a year ago and the front was 220 and the rest was a little over 300. It's went up lol.

I tried this front pipe on my tbi truck 95 3/4 4x4 and it fit nice. On my l31 suburban it was good just had to drill one flange. The car back duels were a different story on the sub. The stock muffler exits a the bottom the new one is centered like the inlet. Pipes were to high and run into back of bumper. If they were lower the drivers side pipe would have fit as intended but I couldn't get it to clear everything. Instead I put the drivers side on backwards cut about 8 inches off where it went into the muffler and it fit nice. Relocated the axle vent hose and cut the excess bracket off where it was mounted and it worked good. Cut both sides of behind axle and had a shop bend me up some 90's and turned them out 5 inches behind the rear mud flaps and inch below body. Fits good doesn't rattle and is tucked up nice and tight. Sounds good with a little snap and fairly loud but a deep mellow tone. I'm happy but I wouldn't give 500 for the cat back