Monroe gas magnum fitment issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harkin

Reaction score
So I recently purchased Monroe gas magnums online and installed the rears. I attempted to install the fronts (pn. 34798) today and it seems they are shorter than they are supposed to be. With a bolt in the bottom they are about half an inch short from lining up at the top when the suspension is fully drooped. I believe its stock suspension, vehicle is a 1992 Suburban K1500.
You must be registered for see images attach

Harkin

Reaction score
I believe this will cause problems with hyperextension when going over bumps that cause the suspension to fully decompress

Harkin

Reaction score
The roads here are garbage so I'd rather not risk it. Just bought these because they seemed like the best option for budget stuff that won't break in 2 months. Should've just spent the money on the bilsteins I actually wanted.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong. I have not researched this.

I have assumed that since there's no rubber bumper to prevent the upper control arm from smashing into the steel platform when the suspension is at full-droop, that the suspension stop is intended to be built-into the shock absorber. Therefore the shock would intentionally be a bit shorter so that the end of the easy travel on the shock would still have clearance between the upper control arm and the steel platform on the frame. There's perhaps a stiff rubber/polyurethane/unobtainium bumper inside the shock that could compress a bit under sudden, heavy loading, like when the front wheels leave the ground as they bounce over a rut or whatever.

In short, I think a shock that's ~1/2" too short is exactly what you want.

If someone knows different, please set me straight.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most shock sizing guides will tell you to have an inch or so of travel beyond max, e.g.

Hitting full extension can damage the shock, bumpstops and limiting straps are better choices for controlling suspension travel at the extremes.

Harkin

Reaction score
Most shock sizing guides will tell you to have an inch or so of travel beyond max, e.g.

Hitting full extension can damage the shock, bumpstops and limiting straps are better choices for controlling suspension travel at the extremes.
This is what I had figured, can't believe these are too short. Every vendor says its the correct part number too. Going to the junkyard tomorrow to hopefully find some Z71 Bilsteins that are in good shape. Going to return the rear shocks too as I don't trust them now.