Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the logical steps to diagnose a misfire?

Truck starts very easy. Starts right up.

I replaced the spider fuel injectors with the mpfi replacement hoping the misfire would go away. But no luck.

I have a p1351 code. But reading about this it sounds like most folks trucks won't start at all when they have this code. Could the p1351 code, icm voltage cause a misfire?

I seem to be getting spark to the plugs just fine. Any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What vehicle?

If OBDII, connect scan tool. Find out which cylinder(s) are misfiring. If you get a P0300 code,verify that the scan tool is capable of displaying individual-cylinder misfires. Most aren't.

If OBDI, perform cylinder-balance test to find misfire.

When you locate misfiring cylinder(s), verify ignition including spark-plug condition.

Then verify cranking compression pressure.

Then verify no vacuum leaks into that runner/cylinder.

Then verify fuel delivery.

I have a p1351 code. But reading about this it sounds like most folks trucks won't start at all when they have this code. Could the p1351 code, icm voltage cause a misfire?
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/p1351-code.50753/

I seem to be getting spark to the plugs just fine. Any ideas?
Spark to the plugs does not mean you have spark across the plug gap. Or that there's a burnable air/fuel mixture compressed in the cylinder.

Last edited:

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What vehicle?

If OBDII, connect scan tool. Find out which cylinder(s) are misfiring. If you get a P0300 code,verify that the scan tool is capable of displaying individual-cylinder misfires. Most aren't.

If OBDI, perform cylinder-balance test to find misfire.

When you locate misfiring cylinder(s), verify ignition including spark-plug condition.

Then verify cranking compression pressure.

Then verify no vacuum leaks into that runner/cylinder.

Then verify fuel delivery.
It's a 98 2500.

I'll check these things tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can download copies of the 1998 service manual at this link below. It will have the GM diagnostic (troubleshooting) tables for that code. An alternative is a subscription to alldatadiy.com which has the same information and is a bit easier to navigate.

Paper copies of the four volume GM set can be had on eBay as well.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Identify which driving circumstance provokes it.
Misfires due to loss of high voltage ignition show up under load. A misfire in that situation can still be fuel related but fuel related tends to show in a variety of driving situations. That's my start point.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It has a misfire while idling. I just bought this truck to fix it up.

I accidentally hit clear codes and the truck is not drivable. I drove it down my street but when I hit the gas it goes nowhere. Very bogged down. Could be clogged cats but one thing at a time I guess.

Since I cleared the codes how long will it take for any codes to show back up if I can't really drive it anywhere to complete a drive cycle?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop looking for "codes", start looking at cylinder misfire counts.

Or at least look for cylinder misfire codes: P0301--P0308. If it misfires at idle, those codes should show up fairly quickly.

What is the fuel pressure? How old is the fuel filter?

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the fuel pressure today. At idle it is at 52. If I bump the throttle it goes to 62. I read somewhere that at idle it should be around 60 to 66? Does that sound right. I'm pretty new to all this so I really appreciate the help.