P1351 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got a good deal on a 5.7 Vortec stock replacement motor with little to no miles on it, was in a buddy’s truck and the truck was totaled so we pulled the motor and I put it on my truck cuz it was basically new. It was a factory gm replacement not a rebuild. So I now have a p1351 code that’s ignition coil 1 and 4 circuit high voltage. So before I did the replacement engine I had the code, I replaced everything, coil, icm, plugs and new plugs in the new motor, wires, distributor with new aluminum body msd, new cap and rotor on the new motor, crank sensor, I replaced all the ground straps From the block to the fire wall, frame to body, even the hood to fire wall, it’s got a brand new negative battery cable and new positive cables on the way, the truck cranks and attempts to run on the first crank then starts and runs beautifully on the second crank no missfire or anything.

Within two weeks of doing the motor and dealing with the two crank cycles the truck just died on me driving home from work, got it towed home to find a burnt up cap and rotor. The button contact on the rotor was burnt and broken off of a two week old rotor and there was a hole burnt in the rotor and the button on the inside of the cap was burnt black.

replaced the cap and rotor and it fired rite up then started doing the same thing again. Check engine light the whole 9 yards, I know it’s gonna break down on me again, anyone have any suggestions short of breaking down the wire harness ?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory manual will have the diagnostic tables for each code. Some have been scanned here, but not 1997:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Here is the one for a 1998 350. No guarantee that it is exactly the same as a 97, but maybe it will help.

You must be registered for see images attach