magnaflow exhaust and loss of power from too restrictive??!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so im wondering what my local PERFORMANCE exhaust shop who has been around for years.....is thinking when he told me today i would lose power and be very restrictive by me taking a stainless steel single inlet 3" single outlet 3".. magnaflow 24" x 5" x 8" muffler, and installing it on my 2000 K3500 5.7l. he thinks because my stock muffler is 2.5" dual inlet / 2.5" single outlet by me using a y pipe to install the new muffler it would kill power levels and be restrictive to lose gas mileage!!!

is this true!!??

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I think that shop is nuts.

It'd actually be better to have a y pipe and a single in single out then it would be with just a dual in single out muffler.

The y pipe will create a bit of a scavenging effect when the two banks combine but the d/i s/o muffler will not.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly what Horns said. Pretty much any muffler will do better than the factory hulk, let alone a nice MAgnaflow that is optimized for flow and power. Tell him to put a y in and the muffler and you will be very happy.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thats what i thought " anything is better than factory " especially since magnaflow is a strait through deseign....im going with a y pipe infront to muffler to a single exit tailpipe...

DefendHawaii

Reaction score
I have heard this as well though, I'd run a dual in single out if possible, I was gonna run a y-piped flow master 44 and guy told me save the money get a 14in Magnaflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk