Lucas Tranny Additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's been on the market for awhile now but I've never tried it.
I've read more good than bad things about it so I'm wondering if this magic in a bottle actually works smoothing out shifts, correcting minor slipping & increasing the life of a tranny if used ?

Share your stories guys because I'm sure there's a few in here that have tried it.

Last edited:

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just what Butch said dont expect much but in my experience it does work just give it time. I did a trans service on a 99 explore that had a very bad slip between 2nd and 3rd and after adding a quart of the lucas and the girl taking a 300 mile roadtrip I got a call from her saying the slip went away.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have had friends try it out of desperation as a last attempt to not replace their trans for another few weeks. somtimes it worked somtimes not. this was mainly on a 95 K1500 with the 4l60 that blew up 4 times lol. i think it had a little to do with operator error aka heavy foot syndrom.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies fella's.

The 4L60E in my 95 Silvy shifts a bit too hard for my taste going into 2nd and if I lean on it hard the rear wheels chirp plus I've noticed a sometimes slight slip going into 3rd after hard shifts into 2nd. I checked the tranny fluid and it was cherry red but I changed it and the filter anyways plus installed a brand new TCS which did firm up the 1st-2nd shifts a bit but still not to my satisfaction. The other gears seem to shift fine. From what I've read it's my understanding the cause is the typical 4L60E Valve Body & Bore issues so a rebuild is not too far away. Since I have her scheduled to go in for a fresh repaint this month I'm considering dumping in some Lucas Tranny juice just to hopefully keep her alive until the summer when I'll have the time to pull the tranny and take it in to a builder.

Last edited:

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's like putting gum over a tiny hole in the hoover dam. Maybe that's a little extreme of an example, but you get the picture.
Might as well try it.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is exactly what the truck i was talking about would do. supposidly there is a line pressure adjustment you can make to not have that 1-2 chirp. the last time it blew up there was a conector i belive inside the trans that was loose and it cause the same problems. it always ended up with no forward gears after it warmed up and always had reverse. but everything would work ok untill the trans got warm, then no more going forward.

Reaction score
I had no issues with my tranny except it needed to be topped off so I used Lucas additive for that. I have no complaints on any of their products, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I do agree with Fleeingpepper, it's not a fix all for the tranny.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welpppp.....I'm definetly not expecting a perm.fix from a bottle but figured it was worth a shot @ $11.00 a bottle. I paid $1,300.00 for the truck a few years back so it's surprising to me that the tranny made it this far without totally taking a dump on me.

I read a tech bulletin somewhere's awhile back that 4L60E tranny's have to have to be re-sleeved every 50,000 miles or so to last and God knows how many miles is on the tranny in my truck.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Don't forget to change your fuel filter, if IIRC it has something to do with 1-2 shift change and line pressure.