Lubricant for hood latch? Hood latch not always releasing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '98's original hood had fist sized dents all along the front 6" from the PO hitting (punching!) the hood to open it. Doesn't take much to dent these hoods.
Take a look at GMT400's hoods. Most have 2 dents either side of center just back from the leading edge. How did those get there?
When closing the hood, if it only catches the first latch, then people will use both hands in those spots to push the hood down to catch the secondary latch. Instant dents!
Pulling the hood down from one of the holes underneath the front edge hard enough for the hood to catch both latches works way better.
I'd rather slam it this way than have those dents which I'll see everytime I wash or even look at the truck! Unnecessary damage!!!
No-one closes the hoods on my truck's but me!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never been able to get white litium grease to do anything except look nasty. I use the spray version of Marvel Mystery Oil. It lasts for months, even survives power washing. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore, and I don't think it's exactly the same stuff they sell by the quart.

At work, I used motor oil, because that's what I had.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never been able to get white litium grease to do anything except look nasty.

Ya know, I used to use white lithium spray all the time, loved it, now I wont use it at all. Every time I use it I just make a mess.