lt1 swap form 350tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was wondering how hard is to switch a 350 tbi to a lt1 ,and will it bolt up to my 4l80 trans?I have posted some dumb questions and have already been posted but,i was reading a lt1 has a hell of alot more power than a stock 350 verus a stock lt1.Is this swamp worth it or should i just go ahead and build my stock tbi 350 and call it a day thanks

MSR5150

Reaction score
I have heard the LT1 series of engines can be very difficult/tempermental with tuning when modified, but i could be mistaken. The ecu on the tbi's are also not fond of much modification. Of course you could really run any engine you wanted, it all depends on your budget and how much fabrication you want to do.

badassformula383lt1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lt1 engine responds very well to mods, decent aftermarket for it as well. i have a few laying around an contemplating doing it myself. Main problem i see is i would like to keep the stock lt1 fuel injection system and i would have to run the lt1 computer. The problem with that is the optispark if some arnt familiar with that it is the front mount cam driven distributor. They are very temperamental and wouldn't like the mud or water. I do believe u can run the 4l80e with it if u planned to run the stock lt1 fuel injection system u would have to have a mail order tune for that trans tho as the lt1s use the 4l60e. You could do it a easier way and pick up a lt1 4bbl intake and get a tb adapter and run the stock tbi tb or aftermarket one, and use a regular distributor. The lt1 block isnt much diff from ur SBC it just uses reverse cooling (no water flow through the intake) aluminum heads with smaller chambers 10-4-1 compression hyperutectic flat top pistons, gm's "pink" rods and s steel crank, the water pump is cam driven it uses a gear that goes to the timing chain which most convert to a electric water pump. I have a few built lt1s as u can see in my sig, one is a forged 383, one is a cam only, one had a Heads cam an intake package an full bolt ons, then one just has minor bolt ons. There very strong engines make great power an torque monsters down low in a fbody. hope this helps btw im new to the forum so bare with me.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
B body (Caprice, Roadmaster) LT1's had the ac compressor mounted low on the right side of the engine, using what is traditionally the bosses for the right side motor mount. If you use one of these LT1's, you have to notch the frame rail, and move the motor mount back on the right side, or use either a corvette accessory drive (mounts everything on the left side) an ac relocation bracket, or custom accessory drive brackets. You still have to notch the framerail even if you run the ac delete idler pulley in the stock location.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lt1 motors are a waste of time.Even when they were new they were junk.The only somewhat decent LT motor was the LT4.Edelbrock use to make a head/cam package called the LT4 but since discontinued it.No disrespect to anyone,but the LT series motors are only good as boat anchors.Look where distributor is located not a great placement in a 4x4.
Now the LS series motors love um.Simple to work on,reliable,& can make massive power out of um.
I really don't know what your looking for.Your last post was on 350 TBI mods now a LTI swap.I'm glad to help you anyway I can but let me Know what your after.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a fair amount of misinformation in this thread.

TBI ECM's are no "less fond" of modifications than any other ECM, they're just older by today's computing standards and you have to really know what you're doing to tune one given the fair amount of guesswork involved, which is why most people don't dick with it, after all the LS engines have been in junkyards for years now.

LT1's are NOT "Junk" LTx's are what some people use for an engine instead of a "boat anchor" b/c of budgetary limitations etc.

LT4 was NOT from Edelbrock. LT4 was from GM. Maybe Edelbrock sold parts for the LT4 but that's irrelevant.

I'm with Mike on this one, if you're going to bother swapping engines, skip the LT1 and go for an LS engine, best bang for the buck.

4x4chevy- that TBI 350 will be more than powerful enough to power your 'burb, and the TBI is better suited for truck applications whereas the LTx engines would be better suited in an F-body. Now, that's not to say you couldn't run either engine in either vehicle.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now every one is saying doing the 6.0 swap those motors are beast in the mud and are reallyable.the 6.0 are in the k2500hs in the 2004-2009 trucks now what well it take to swap that in i know it has coil packs and stuff much more complicated than tbi set ups but its better and stronger .I have an ok deal on a ls1 350 pretty stock but it has 130k on it thow for 1500 bucks what yall think

badassformula383lt1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a ton of miss information in this thread about the lt1 engine, im not going into detail but they do just as well as the ls1 end ls2 engines. There are many Lt1s this year going to find there way into the 7s in the 1/4 mile. My old combo made just over 400hp and just under 450 ft tq on stock casting heads an intake and bone stock 193,500 mile short block. Current set up im putting together im shooting for somewhere between 750-850 hp to the tires. As much as i really hate the LS series engines if i could afford it i would have the 6.0l LQ4 or LQ9 in my truck being they make gobbs of torque and are better suited for wet muddy areas. You could put a carb and a sbc distributor an single plane intake on a lt1 an it would be no different then ur basic 350 sbc or vortec just would have aluminum heads an more compression.