LS1 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely understand what you mean about there being to much information to just start in one place and spout it all off. Thanks for your help, I'm ready for the swap as far as the truck, it is down to almost nothing because I am swapping the body for a better one off a '92, but the motor I have is in worse shape then I thought so it seems that has forced me into either spending the money to fix what I have or get something else and this conversion was brought to my attention when I joined this site. Ever since I have been picking away at trying to understand how it all works and thought I would do it later once I got the rest of the truck back together, but now that won't be happening.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I have a truck with a rock solid body, but I believe the trans is on its way out. Similarly I looked at what it'd take to fix, vs what it'd take to swap to all newer gear, and decided to take a run at it.

The major question you probably haven't asked yet is fuel... you'll need to upgrade that to something ~58psi capable, but exactly what you need depends which rail you get (return vs returnless)

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen so far lots of guys are going with the 96+ fuel pump, and then as far as line and fittings depends (like you said) what engine they are using in their swap whether they have a return or returnless rail.

What I am thinking as far as what motor and trans combo to get, the 6.0L and a 4L80E seem to be more what I am looking for. I did notice that the transfer case(241) in my truck doesn't bolt up to the 4L80E, so that would also have to be swapped to one form a 3/4 ton I would imagine, correct? I want to keep the hand shift transfer case if I can.

I don't want to have a weak tranny if I don't have to, but at the same time I was hoping to keep a few more of the original parts from the truck.

I can pick up a 5.3 with harness and PCM for around $500, and a with 4L60E for another $150 from a salvage yard here, all out of a 2003 K 1500 with relatively low KMs. I'm still a long ways away from actually picking a motor up but at least I have an idea of what is out there.