LS1 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uneek98

Reaction score
So I have an 89 c1500 with 5.7 tbi and turbo350 tran (not original, bought it from a tard) What am i looking at to do a LS1 swap in my truck?? I live in an emissions state as well.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
regular cab short bed? 2wd 4wd? Weigh the benifits first. IF its like a clean ass 2wd rcsb pickup and you've got a lower mileage motor/tranny I'd say maybe. Not so sure of the turbo350 behind the ls1 haven't had one. After doing the whole LS thing I think doing a carb'd 454 in a regular cab short bed 2wd truck would be the way to go. It costs 100x more to do the truck right then the gas mileage benifits or anything else with an LS motor swap in a GMT400. LS1's get exspensive to work with too. Not trying to destroy creativity here, just trying to avoid you with a crazy overbudgeted project.

Uneek98

Reaction score
regular cab short bed? 2wd 4wd? Weigh the benifits first. IF its like a clean ass 2wd rcsb pickup and you've got a lower mileage motor/tranny I'd say maybe. Not so sure of the turbo350 behind the ls1 haven't had one. After doing the whole LS thing I think doing a carb'd 454 in a regular cab short bed 2wd truck would be the way to go. It costs 100x more to do the truck right then the gas mileage benifits or anything else with an LS motor swap in a GMT400. LS1's get exspensive to work with too. Not trying to destroy creativity here, just trying to avoid you with a crazy overbudgeted project.

Yep reg cab shortbed 2wd bagged on 22s so im already over budget lol Im not keeping the turbo 350 i bought truck with it in there im probably goin 4l60 or 700r4 not sure ....may just depend on motor. What am i looking at for doin a carbed 454.....depends on emissions too.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have an '89 Chevy that I want to do the LS transplant and want to know what all is needed to make it work. What has to be used, where do you get it, etc?

I have read a few builds and articles about how to do it, but no where does it give enough detail on what products the guys are using or buying, what pieces they are making or having made, etc. Really what I am getting at is we need one thread on the forum that has extremely detailed info on how guys are doing it, and what they are using, kinda like an archived place of all that information.

I apologize if there is something like that on this forum, but I have searched for it for quite sometime and not been able to find it yet.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Do some research guys, theres a whole LS conversion section on LS1truck.com, lots of info at lt1swap.com (though poorly organized). Come up with specific questions and I can help as I'm just about done collecting all my parts for this.. but you have to at least get your feet wet before I can help you. Easiest/best way is to keep the 4l60e the engine comes with.

Things you need:
engine
trans
harness
PCM
mounts
fuel system
etc. you want more detail, ask a more detailed question and I'll answer it. I've done hundreds of hours of research.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
keep 4l60e i was gonna use my 700r4 with mine because its fresh. the swaps straightforward. get a complete engine, trans, wiring, pcm pull out. get motor mounts and new bushings. youll want a vortec fuel pump. only thing im unsure of is how to wire it to your guages.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Here is the wiring information I've gathered to put a 99-00 harness into my 93

C1 BLUE
19 PCM IGN Supply (12+ switched)
20 PCM Battery Supply (12+ constant)
33 TCC Brake switch - connect to purple wire on brake pedal (12v normally closed switch)
42 Fan 1 Relay Ground
57 PCM Battery Supply (12+ constant)
58 Serial Data to OBD2 Port
71 Tow/Haul Mode switch (Momentary Ground)
75 PCM IGN Supply (12+ switched)

C2 RED
9 Fuel Pump Relay Control Connects to green/white tracer
10 Tach output signal [connects to white wire behind cluster?]
16 4WD Low signal (only used if VSS on Tcase Output)
33 Fan 2 Relay ground
38 Fuel gauge output (runs level gauge on 96-99 trucks)
46 CEL signal wire
50 VSS output [connect to light blue wire with black stripe and red wire with white stripe in DRAC box?

keep 4l60e i was gonna use my 700r4 with mine because its fresh. the swaps straightforward. get a complete engine, trans, wiring, pcm pull out. get motor mounts and new bushings. youll want a vortec fuel pump. only thing im unsure of is how to wire it to your guages.

If you're going to do that, you basically tune the engine as if its a manual, and figure out a way to use your TV. You're basically stuck with using a DBC engine/PCM if you go this route, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here a few questions then, how do I tie the engine harness and PCM from the LS engine to the stock wiring in the cab, like the dash controls, gauges, power windows and locks. I have factory A/C on the '89, it's still the original R-12 system, is there a conversion kit to switch it over and also work with the one on the newer motor, or is that something that would have to be pieced together to make it work with R-134 and the newer system, or is the AC system in the newer engine and the conversion kits for R-134 on the older trucks compatible together?

Half the problem is I am still very new to a lot of this stuff and am trying to pick up as much of it as I can. I am still in the early stages of researching how to do this swap and didn't know about either of those websites, I have been trying to gain as much info off this site as I can. I have started looking on LS1truck.com now, just a few minutes, and answered a few of my other questions.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
For the harness, the only connections needed are the ones listed above (plus one for AC which I omitted). Power doors, etc are on the body harness and will not be effected. Physically, you can get an adapter bracket and bolt your current compressor to the new engine without ever breaking the system open. There are alternatives as well, but if your system is functional none of them would make as much sense as using what you have.

There is a maker of the brackets on LS1truck, and I believe dirty dingo has an offering as well (I think I even saw a conversion "kit" including mounts and that bracket).

Do your research, figure out what your questions are and I'll do my best. I'm by no means an expert but I have a LOT of time invested in research on this topic. Once you get down to the variations in the different LS series engines then you'll know you're getting close to being ready. The info is out there, and I'm happy to pass on the stuff that you have trouble finding, but theres just way too much to start spouting off on it.