LS……4.8 or 5.3????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you could bend Grade 8 bolts going into the block.
A 500 Cadillac long block is near 600 lbs, and I was in a life transition, so the engine hung on the engine stand for over a year. When I took the bolts out, they were bent.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 500 Cadillac long block is near 600 lbs, and I was in a life transition, so the engine hung on the engine stand for over a year. When I took the bolts out, they were bent.
That’s still pretty crazy. But at least they were pliable enough to bend and not crack, snap, or break.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hung a fully dressed iron headed big block on a stand a couple of weeks ago and bent 4 grade 5 bolts so badly I ended up putting it on the ground. It was drooping so far I wasn't comfortable it would stay. Two different stands and fresh bolts had the same result so I decided not to go that route.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas for drilling this out? I’m guessing that the engine or transmission was pull once upon a time and they broke this bolt off. Then said screw it and ground it down flat. So I can’t just weld a nut on. I guess I’m going to have to drill it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it on the stand.

And the intake off. Looks showroom fresh and new!! Lol

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the truck that it came out of. Also shiny and new, like it’s engine!! Lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hung a fully dressed iron headed big block on a stand a couple of weeks ago and bent 4 grade 5 bolts so badly I ended up putting it on the ground. It was drooping so far I wasn't comfortable it would stay. Two different stands and fresh bolts had the same result so I decided not to go that route.
I DO NOT understand bending bolts AT ALL. Having the stands sag is entirely common, given the piiss-poor quality of typical engine stands. They'll flex; they shouldn't actually break. We hope.

I've had Buick, Pontiac, Olds 455s hung on engine stands for years. I've got a 454 and Buick 455 on engine stands right now, that have been stored and ignored for not less than 5 years. Whether two days or ten years, the time factor shouldn't make any difference. Either the bolts hold, or they bend. And if they're tight...I don't know how they'd bend.

I attach my engines to the stands using hardware-store (Chinese) Grade 8 bolts, about 6--7 inches long. As shown, I add extra spacers to those crappy engine stands so I have adequate access to the crank flange/flexplate. However, I wouldn't expect Grade 5 bolts to bend.
Any ideas for drilling this out? I’m guessing that the engine or transmission was pull once upon a time and they broke this bolt off. Then said screw it and ground it down flat. So I can’t just weld a nut on. I guess I’m going to have to drill it out.
You understand that that is an LS engine...right?

THERE IS NO BOLT HOLE THERE. The rear cylinder is too close to the bellhousing; you drill that hole, you're going to scrap the block. GM omitted that bolt in favor of one at the very peak of the bellhousing. Still has six bolts, but one moved from that position to the higher-up position.

IF (big IF) it will reach, I'd move the engine-stand arm from the second bellhousing bolt-hole up on the right side, to the very top hole.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
@Schurkey

"THERE IS NO BOLT HOLE THERE. The rear cylinder is too close to the bellhousing; you drill that hole, you're going to scrap the block. GM omitted that bolt in favor of one at the very peak of the bellhousing. Still has six bolts, but one moved from that position to the higher-up position."

That is a fun fact that is good to know!
Thanks.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DO NOT understand bending bolts AT ALL. Having the stands sag is entirely common, given the piiss-poor quality of typical engine stands. They'll flex; they shouldn't actually break. We hope.

I've had Buick, Pontiac, Olds 455s hung on engine stands for years. I've got a 454 and Buick 455 on engine stands right now, that have been stored and ignored for not less than 5 years. Whether two days or ten years, the time factor shouldn't make any difference. Either the bolts hold, or they bend. And if they're tight...I don't know how they'd bend.

I attach my engines to the stands using hardware-store (Chinese) Grade 8 bolts, about 6--7 inches long. As shown, I add extra spacers to those crappy engine stands so I have adequate access to the crank flange/flexplate. However, I wouldn't expect Grade 5 bolts to bend.

You understand that that is an LS engine...right?

THERE IS NO BOLT HOLE THERE. The rear cylinder is too close to the bellhousing; you drill that hole, you're going to scrap the block. GM omitted that bolt in favor of one at the very peak of the bellhousing. Still has six bolts, but one moved from that position to the higher-up position.

IF (big IF) it will reach, I'd move the engine-stand arm from the second bellhousing bolt-hole up on the right side, to the very top hole.
I had no idea that there wasn’t supposed to be a hole there, but I did know that they added one to the top. Thanks for the info!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you join Sherman 'n' Peabody in the WABAC machine, you'd find that Chevy used to use that top hole decades ago. At some point they just left it blank, like they're now doing with the "hole" off to the side on the LS (and, I presume, the LT--but I've never seen one to know for sure.)