LS……4.8 or 5.3????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with most of that. And a SBC does still deserve respect no doubt. I’m building one now. But breaking the bank to do so in the way that I want it built. My biggest issue is that I would like to make affordable fuel injected high horse power. Which plain and simple does not exist on a SBC. Decent fuel injection is stupid expensive and it comes already there in a LS platform.

Also, sure, no replacement for displacement is a thing with the exception of power adders. And that’s another great thing about an LS, 6 bolt mains on every one ever made!!! Crazy!! That’s a huge contributor to being able to just slap on a power adder.

But I also agree that some of the most impressive builds I’ve seen is a 4.8 LS with boost and watch it hurt the feelings of the NA high compression 6.0 guys.

Anyway, while not everything is my personal cup of tea, I respect engines and builds for what they are. And for some reason, the ability to spend time, effort, and research to build exactly what you want and are looking for is just the most fun thing to me. I like thinking outside of the box too and doing things that would make purists roll over in their graves. Like putting a bad@ss American built LS into something like a BMW and making it better and more reliable than any German engine ever was!
And that right there is what makes this a fun (as well as expensive) hobby. Everyone has their own interests and recipes and alot of things can be learned by merely watching what each person does to their builds. Build on brutha......can't wait to see what's next.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That lady reposted the same 4.8 that she tried to sell me yesterday as a 5.3 again!! WTF?!?! Some people!!

You must be registered for see images attach

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that right there is what makes this a fun (as well as expensive) hobby. Everyone has their own interests and recipes and alot of things can be learned by merely watching what each person does to their builds. Build on brutha......can't wait to see what's next.
Me either! Lol Still figuring that part out. But I may research and see how hard it is to build a jig to start and run them in my garage!

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really really need to find a decent engine stand today to I can get the top end off of this engine.

It’s gonna be a LOT harder to get it mounted to an engine stand if I pull the exhaust manifolds and the heads off before hand.

Apparently COVID made Harbor Freight sell out of them!! Lol
I hear ya. The one's at HF were great deals at $75 but....you can get this one from Ebay for around $100 with free shipping......

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. The one's at HF were great deals at $75 but....you can get this one from Ebay for around $100 with free shipping......

I actually might check into that. I’m sure it’ll be the same exact thing. There seem to be 2 basic types. The cheaper 1000lb version, like these. And the much more expensive 1 ton versions. I was just hoping to find a reasonable price on anything local so I can get it today since I’m impatient. At the moment I still have it dangling from my engine hoist in my garage. I guess the reasonable and smart thing to do would be to at least lower it down to the ground! Lol

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently English and communication is hard!! WTF?!?! I know that I shouldn’t say it, but people are just dumb sometimes!!! So frustrating!! Lol

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, that dude isn’t answering me anymore. So I guess I’m going to stop being cheap and go to HF and get the more expensive one. Maybe it’ll be so much better that I’m better off with it than the cheap one. The cheap one holds the engine well enough, but it’s SUPER hard to spin it around with all of the weight of the engine on it.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thing is stupid heavy. And now I have to unload it and put it together too. Also grabbed this rolling seat and a ********* plastic catch tray to put under it.