Lowering spindles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to change the spindles on my 97 2wd to 2" drop spindles. Are there any special tools that I will need to do this? I have standard mechanic hand tools. I've changed spindles on big trucks but not pickups, hopefully it will be similar. Will I need a ball joint tool? I know I needed on when I replaced a spindle on my old Mack to remove the tie rod.

Oh and what brand of spindles do you guys recommend?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just take the nuts loose and hit the spindle with a BFH!! Put the truck on stands and with no jack under the A-arm and smack the spindle at the ball joint with a hammer after you JUST loosen the nuts don't take them off PLEASE!!!.. They will pop loose.. Then put a floor jack under the a-arm jack it up to get the nuts off now the spindle should come out..

I just got a set of McGaughys and there Nice and strong looking.. You will pay a little more but well worth it!!!

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to lower the rear? What are your plans for the rear if you do?

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only doing a 2/4. I am putting new shackle and hanger on the rear. I cant go any more than 2/4 because I still have to be able to haul my boat around and want to do this without having to add bags to it. This is a work truck first, look nice going down the road truck second. I have a lawn care business that I do in the spring summer and fall, and I have a fishing guide service that I do in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Trucks with the 4/6 drops look nice, but they get hung up on boat ramps, they need to be bagged to tow anything.

I put the shackles on it last week to level it out, I havent put the hangers on it yet though, I will wait until I get the new spindles before I put the new spring hangers on it.

Also, since I will have the front end tore down to redo spindles, would that be a good time to replace stock bushings with urethane bushings or does it matter?

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my boat. Crestliner Deep V
You must be registered for see images attach