Lowering my 96 ECSB 2/4. What parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt327

Reaction score
So i'm planning to lower my 96 Extended cab short box C1500. I'm a little unclear on what parts to use to do the drop. I'm thinking a 2/4 drop using DJM Spindles and DJM shackle and hanger kit. I'm not sure what to do about shocks.

I'm planning on running some d window steel 15in rims (don't know what sizes yet) with 275 60 15 ( or perhaps 255's up front and 295's out back) tires. I understand i'll have to trim the LCA? Will I need to roll fenders too?

Any insights in this? What do you guys think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My opinion that’s the best way to go for a 2/4 drop. Stock shocks should work fine, may need to go with shock extenders on the rear suspension ... good luck

Matt327

Reaction score
The shocks are OEM probably factory so they're likely shot and need new ones. Would there be a good shock to get since I'll have to buy shocks anyways?

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shocks are OEM probably factory so they're likely shot and need new ones. Would there be a good shock to get since I'll have to buy shocks anyways?
The bilsteins that are designed for lowered 400s are great. You'd have to go to coilovers for a better one IMO.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Go with a kit that uses drop spindles. They'll retain the stock ride characteristics & alignment geometry.
No lowering springs nor dropped pocket LCAs's.
This way, on a 2/4, you can use stock length shocks front & rear. (When used with the rear lower extenders.)
Don't lower it without new shocks.
While the front-end's apart, it's a good time to check the control arm bushings, along with the rest of the steering components.
That left spring hanger is a PitA to re-n-re. Easier with that side of the box lifted.
Be prepared to be messing with pinion wedges & longer spring centering bolts to bring the pinion angle back to acceptable.

I'll never do another 2/4.

Matt327

Reaction score
I'll never do another 2/4.

how come? what would you do instead?

do you happen to know where i can find which shock p/n's i'd need? or would you go new parts store stuff with shock extenders?

Merry christmas yall!

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how come? what would you do instead?

do you happen to know where i can find which shock p/n's i'd need? or would you go new parts store stuff with shock extenders?

Merry christmas yall!
I have read on sewlow's troubles with a 2/4. The amount of trouble you go through with a 2/4, tearing down the front end, grinding hanger rivets off, pinion angle trouble, etc. It is just as easy to go 4/6 as it is 2/4. Alot of folks end up wishing they'd gone lower after a 2/4. I went 3/5 and went to a 2/4. I'm much happier with it than I was a 3/5. However, I didn't use hangers and shackles. I used hotchkis leaf springs for the back. Ultimately, it's all about what ya like.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I just 2/4 dropped my '96 reg. cab. Getting the hanger rivets off with the bed on and an 90 angle drill and air hammer wore me out. But now that it's done and I am back to good health : ) and can move again, I am happy with the result.

Not sure about your wheels but my fronts are 15x7 with -6mm backspace and they just barely contacted the LCA on a wheel stop turn. I ground about 1/16 to an 1/8 inch off but i have already scrapped one after the suspension settled cutting hard backing out of the driveway. More grinding to do I guess.