Lost on Axle ratio.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 Tahoe 2wd 4 door woth 5.7tbi. I cant refer to rpo codes as dash was swappes by po and no numbers match anything. What was the typical ratio for the rear end. Im having some no movement problems. Let me explain.

Truck was almost completly gone thru tune up wise and fuel system. Runs very well timing adjusted properly. I have 255/30r24s and its a dog. Very slow to get to speed. If you floor it just sorta puts along. Trans does shift. I was thinking maybe the gearing is whats doing it? Im new to this axle ratio game always got lucky on other trucks a d didnt have to mess with it. Thanks for the input fellas

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
You can determine the ratio yourself pretty easily if you have a jack to get the rear end off the ground.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably 3.42 ratio
Agree with this. Most of the 2wd's have 3.42. If you really want to know, pop the rear diff cover off and take a look at the ring gear. It'll have some numbers stamped on it. 40/13=3.08, 41/12=3.42 41/11=3.73, 41/10=4.10. It probably needs a fluid change anyway.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
3.08's & a 4.3. A stick though. It's one redeeming point.
0-60 in ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................2nd gear!......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................are we there yet?...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................oh...oh...oh...a-l-m-o-o-st!....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Made it! Phew!

Not one BMW in the rear-view, either.
My dog was faster! Calling the truck a dog would of been insulting him.

You must be registered for see images attach

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if it is a 3.42 is that why it might be so slow. I cant call it a dog i dont want to insult sewlows dog ha.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it makes y'all feel any better, my truck has the GU2 axle option. That's right...2.73's! I'm not sure which engineer thought that 2.73's with a 700R4 is good combination, but they should've been fired.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
If it makes y'all feel any better, my truck has the GU2 axle option. That's right...2.73's! I'm not sure which engineer thought that 2.73's with a 700R4 is good combination, but they should've been fired.

I had no idea you could get these trucks with that ratio...