looking to do my first lift kit on my 96 "HOE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLB BLZR

Reaction score
i want to add a full 6" suspension lift for my 96 tahoe 4 door and im not sure where to go or what to look for i seen fabtech has a 6" along with alot of others im not sure of the parts i would need for steering and drivetrain or brands to watch out for

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2 most common lift kits for the OBS for ~6" are the RCX 6" (~$1000) and the Dick Cepek 6.5" (~$1500). The RCX is actually a 4" lift kit with torqued torsion bars and an add-a-leaf (AAL) for the rear. There is alot of debate over which is better the RCX or the DC lift, but for most its you get what you pay for. $1000 for a 4" lift, AAL, and some tweaking, or $1500 for a full 6.5" lift. DC lifts are practically indestructible and for many people, it's a gateway to a solid front axle swap (SFA). The RCX is rumored to be not as strong as the DC, but I have never heard of either breaking.

Basically its what you want for lift, and how much you want to spend. There are parts you should replace when you do the lift as well, tie-rods etc. that most people also recommend to replace when you do the lift. I am unsure on what exactly the parts are that are recommended to be replaced, but its in the ballpark of ~$500 with Moog parts.

Also, if you are looking at a >35" tire, most people recommend regearing which if done by a shop can be upwards of $1000 for front and back regearing.

Hope this helps!
-Greg.

CLB BLZR

Reaction score
thank you that does help it never crossed my mind about the gearing and a solid axle swap

CLB BLZR

Reaction score
is there any websites you know of i can look at a DC lift and other suspension parts along with performance parts this is all new to me.
im going from my standard cab ford ranger with hydraulics that lays frame on the ground to my tahoe that i want tio touch the clouds with probably guna be mostly for the look of lifted and not actually doing any crazy bogging

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RCX 6" from the Rough Country website - Here

Dick Cepek lift from Performance Lifts - Here

Edit: Check out the GMT400 Lift Thread - Here

As for performance parts, there are so many options available; from cold air intakes (CAI), to exhaust, to cams to superchargers. That is an almost unlimited area when it comes to options.
Check out the Engine Performance + Maintenance section for more info.

Edit: I also moved this to the Stock Suspension & Bolt On Kits so others can chime in as well.

Last edited:

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
i read a little bit of your reply greg and the rcx is like a 5.25" diff drop. i got almost 8 inches out of mine.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i read a little bit of your reply greg and the rcx is like a 5.25" diff drop. i got almost 8 inches out of mine.

Thanks for the clarification. I was told that it was 4" diff drop. But than again, that's just what I was told. I have yet to purchase one...:evillol:

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
alot of people dont know and then they just run there mouths and spread dumbassery. hell i cleared 37x13.50s with mine.