Looking for intake and cam advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that Lunati Cam and lifter kit (10120700LK) with 1.6 full roller rockers (so I'm at .466/.484) in mine with the 3704 intake. I also junked the swirl port heads and got the Summit Racing aluminum heads (when I bought them they were only $900 with rebate), among other goodies. With that cam I didn't need to change the springs AND I tuned it by data logging and adjusting. I also have the EBL Flash-II which auto learns VE tables. If you have a computer controlled cam the EBL won't do it. A mail order chip still leaves a lot on the table but it's a start. I started with a chip from Harris, it's sitting in a box somewhere in my shop now.

My truck idles smooth, gets up and goes off the line to ~5200 RPM. If I were to do it over, I'd go with little bigger cam, maybe the 10120701 up to 703 with better springs since these heads will handle up to .500 without spring bind but I don't think they'll rev much higher without floating some.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

As said above, whatever he does he needs to tune it!

Edit: the link I posted was for pre-87 heads (162109), the 162108 is the correct #

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Lunati and Comp spec'ed out a cam for him, pick from those two and go with it.

Would an Edelbrock 3701 with a TBI adapter work? Probably need a different EGR valve.

If he's wanting to spend his time tinkering on it, do those two, and then look into getting it tuned.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the 3706 as well, but I didn't catch the pre-post '87 difference. Gotta pony up a few more dollars.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
I’ll talk with him today some more about tuning. I think since he has no cam and intake at the moment he was hoping to purchase something better than stock and not have to tune. He’s old school and maybe the lack of knowledge and experience has him hesitant. I haven’t done any mods other than exhaust to my truck so I’m not much help in the tuning dept. is the eddy 3706 intake worth all of the added hassle over a stock or 3701 tbi intake?

playingwithtbi did you ever run the truck with the lunati cam and eddy intake alone? Or did the heads and tune all get done at the same time?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the eddy 3706 intake worth all of the added hassle over a stock or 3701 tbi intake?
It looks to me that the 3701 does not fit the TBI heads. The 2 center bolts on TBI are angled different (`70* IIRC) than the pre-87 heads.

did you ever run the truck with the lunati cam and eddy intake alone? Or did the heads and tune all get done at the same time?
I did the heads, cam, headers, high flow Y pipe and cat to 3" exhaust, Throttle Body bored out, intake and Harris chip all at the same time. Then tuned it with the OE 7747 ECM and the ZIF socket mod (for an SST 27SF512 chip). Got better results but, the 7747 is slow (160 baud) and its tables are small. Got better performance than the Harris chip. Then I switched to the EBL Flash-II which is faster (8192 baud) and has bigger tables and tuned for a while to get even better performance. I'm still playing with things like SA (Spark Advance), AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) at WOT, Launch Mode, etc with a Wide Band O2 sensor (the best way to go).

Last edited:

BulldogSS

Reaction score
I just briefly looked into the ebl flash. It looks like instead of putting $400 into making a intake work maybe he could go pick up a stock intake for $20 at a local junk yard and put the money into the ebl. I guessing he will get much more benefit for the money. Now just convincing him to do so is the issue. Are the forums on tuning very helpful? When I built the 6.0 in my 2003 silvy SS the guys on ls1.com were very informative.

I meant to say is the benefit of the 3706 worth the hassle over the 3704.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the forums on tuning very helpful?
Yes, RBob (or BobR depending on where you look, ha ha) has a lot of support there on his DynamicEFI.com site. There's a thread dedicated to the EBL going back to 2006 and present;
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/356351-tuning-ebl.html

Lots of info about all kinds of platforms here including TunerPro RT;
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

I meant to say is the benefit of the 3706 worth the hassle over the 3704.
It may flow better, IDK. You can call them and ask.

BulldogSS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I just talked to him and explained that cam with tune would be much better than cam and intake with no tune. He definitely doesn’t want to do his own tuning so I guess I’m looking for a tuner. Guessing best bet is going to be to get with the tuner and get a cam that they have tuned for before. Hopefully that with help with a mail order tune working better.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
This is just not true. Not all TBI blocks have the bosses in the lifter valley to tap into. I've been into several TBI blocks. None had them. Some say the tbi blocks with roller provisions exist but it's a unicorn for me. . Car blocks are a different story.

FWIW, My 90 C1500 has provisions for a roller cam. I'm the third owner, second owner did nothing to the engine, so "assuming" it;s the original engine.

Ken