Looking for advice for a more powerplant ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best low cost is rebuilt 305 vortec heads and a vortec carb intake.

Sorry, but I've never met someone who was really happy with the power they got from a 305, if they had the opportunity to drive a comparable 350.

I need something with a lot more pep and power.

Ask around. You have a friend somewhere who has a 350 block laying around they're ready to get rid of. The Pull-A-Part here occasionally has weekend specials of a longblock for $75.

If you're building a stroker, the Summit block looks like the way to go. Four-bolt main, one-piece rear main, roller cam provisions, already clearanced and already vatted? Hell, now I want to build another motor. By the reviews, I'd avoid the .060 blocks - it looks like they have cracking issues.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can you find a crate 350 R L31, Jegs and Summit don’t have em anymore. Apparently they aren’t made anymore

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can you find a crate 350 R L31, Jegs and Summit don’t have em anymore. Apparently they aren’t made anymore
No promises on GM's supply of "Hencho" engines due to the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab and released into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).

Pretty sure there was a part-number change on the L31 crate engine some months ago. You might be trying to find the "old" part number which would be discontinued.

Old number = 12530283

New number = 12681431

Yeah, there's no stock of the new number, and no projected delivery date. These numbers are for the "8600 pound GVW" "heavy duty" version.

I don't see any stock of the "1/2 ton" L31, either. That'd be way more popular; it's less expensive and in most installations carries a longer warranty.

Last edited:

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Easy, 12 valve Cummins swap it and mate a 4L80e with a Transgo HD2 shift in it to the Cummins or if you have a 1500, 4BT Cummins.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No question, go with a 383, you won't believe the difference in power from a 350 let alone a 305. Bought our one owner GMC k1500 in 2016 to tow our 5,000 lb travel trailer, despite several bolt on improvements the original 350 with only 150,000 on it was never very good, really struggled up mountain passes or against headwinds. In Nevada, against a headwind, fairly level, we had to drive in 2nd all day. In October, bought a remanufactured long block 383 from S&J Engines in Spokane with roller cam for $2300, friend helped me install it. There is no comparison in towing capacity. The stroker will tow in 4th gear most of the time (I do watch trans temp) and I can pretty much go as fast as I want, but keep it under 65 for safety's sake.

Best thing, its a direct drop in swap. Am now having Old EFi program a chip for me. You will need to do that.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No question, go with a 383, you won't believe the difference in power from a 350 let alone a 305. Bought our one owner GMC k1500 in 2016 to tow our 5,000 lb travel trailer, despite several bolt on improvements the original 350 with only 150,000 on it was never very good, really struggled up mountain passes or against headwinds. In Nevada, against a headwind, fairly level, we had to drive in 2nd all day. In October, bought a remanufactured long block 383 from S&J Engines in Spokane with roller cam for $2300, friend helped me install it. There is no comparison in towing capacity. The stroker will tow in 4th gear most of the time (I do watch trans temp) and I can pretty much go as fast as I want, but keep it under 65 for safety's sake.

Best thing, its a direct drop in swap. Am now having Old EFi program a chip for me. You will need to do that.
What part of Nevada? I'm in TX now, but grew up near Winnemucca, NV. Parents still live near Elko.

You'll really notice the difference between the 383 and the 305 at high altitudes and steep inclines as mentioned. If you have the budget now (make sure to include a few hundred dollars for the ECU reprogram as mentioned) the 383 is probably the best bang for buck if you grab a 350 block for cheap and have it built for you. Vortec would be even better

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Zyphra

Reaction score
Great help guys, I'm already totally disgusted with the 305 I put in back in 2013, and the market for a Better-than 350 is right around $3K to 4K that is if i can believe Jegs page. I already have a Gibson exhaust, Summit pair of shorty headers and a Edelbrock 4301 Intake, so all I want is the best deal on as much horsepower as I can get to slide into the engine bay on my 1990 Silverado. I think it's a gen4 engine ?????

Last edited: