Long overdue join

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly those NNBS shifters are kind of growing on me. I might have to dig one up when I comes time to wire in T/H.

I haven't ordered one yet, but the HD headlight harness from @5vortec7 look like amazing quality, and if they're built the same as his Big 3 kits I don't think you'd ever have any trouble with it.
I've currently got the cheap-o "HD" harness from LMC truck, as well as the 4-Hi kit, all that combined with the 9011/9012 bulbs means I can never drive another 400 with stock lights.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly those NNBS shifters are kind of growing on me. I might have to dig one up when I comes time to wire in T/H.

I haven't ordered one yet, but the HD headlight harness from @5vortec7 look like amazing quality, and if they're built the same as his Big 3 kits I don't think you'd ever have any trouble with it.
I've currently got the cheap-o "HD" harness from LMC truck, as well as the 4-Hi kit, all that combined with the 9011/9012 bulbs means I can never drive another 400 with stock lights.
I love the shifter, feels nice, but it does sit lower than the stock shifter.

On the harness, I usually make my own harnesses, but I think I'll be buying the big 3 from @5vortec7 at somepoint in the near future. I have a feeling I had a relay fail catastrophically, but I'll look at it later today

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, just as I suspected, but this is a huge first to me. The Low beam relay shorted between pins 85(ground) and 30(12v power). Opened up the wire loom and looks like my ground wire melted the rest of the wires in the loom. One relay is confirmed destroyed, the other two seem to be okay, but I'm not going to chance burning down my truck, so I have three new relays on the way from NAPA and a roll of 14awg on the way as well. Going to be mounting my relays in the engine bay this time, as well as running my ground to a better location rather than to the core support. I'll probably be building this harness tomorrow afternoon as I need to go to the J/Y and find some new 9005/9006 male plugs, and I will be replacing the wire with 14awg rather than the factory 18~ awg. More updates to follow

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Man, that sucks that the wiring burned up on you. But I'm glad you like the Xtreme-Visions! They are definitely an improvement over the "basic" halogen bulbs.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't get over to the shop today, so unfortunately, no headlight harness was made yet. Got stopped by one of my racing teammates, and got to talking about this coming seasons plans, and ended up almost getting iced in the J/Y! But I did grab the connectors I needed as well as I snagged a 120 cluster for $5 due to it not having gauge needles...
But either way, I started to head over to the shop, and the good ole midwest thunder snownado came down, and I was not comfortable to drive to the shop for a few hours.

11:30AM give or take
You must be registered for see images attach

4:30PM give or take.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally had some time to make a new harness thankfully! The Phillip's bulbs are a huge improvement, but I ended up being unhappy with the hi beam bulbs, so I swapped them out for my old HELLA bulbs. I am very satisfied once again!

I think there is an issue with running the new KC spot beam lights, as I turned them on, and they were bright as hell for a moment, and then dimmed down, and the LH light is about half intensity. Will look into that issue another day.

When putting the LH headlight on, my idiot self over tightened the outside headlight stud :badidea:
But anyway, I broke the headlight assembly, so now my LH headlight flops around, I guess that means i can justify buying a new set of headlight/signals. Right!?

And while I'm at it, I'll buy a new GM grille, if I cant find a decent used one, due to this aftermarket grille just doesnt fit quite right.

Another update on the mechanical end of things, the L31 is not doing well, and I've had an offer for a LT1 from a 96 Corvette. I've been definitely throwing the idea around of performing an LT swap rather than putting together the spare L31 I have sitting in the storage shed. But no final decisions have been made, and if I pass the engine up, I'm sure someone on here will want it for the price. I'm still doing homework, so once I can figure out how feasible this swap will be, I'll keep driving it until I cant anymore

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, was going to go pickup a headache rack (I've always wanted one since my first back glass got broken out by a bicycle) and the guy sold it out from under me, but when I was there, I scoured through marketplace and found a catback exhaust kit for $50. The kit on Summit is something around $400, so it was a steal being NIB! I think later this week I'll be installing it. That is after I soak down the factory bolts/nuts every day this week

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I can call it a sad day?

Got the exhaust finished up on Friday, some tips come in tomorrow, but I'll be putting this thread to a halt for now. Most likely I wont be on the forums for a while. But in the meantime I'll be saving up some money for a new welder, and an 88-92 F350 parts truck (if you can guess where this is going, you'll understand why I'll need to save some cash!)

But once I get the LT1 to the shop, I'll make a few updates, along with showing the rebuild, but until then. Thank you for the help so far. I'll see y'all soon

-Justin

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might as well get the thread started back up again, a few updates though, the fella sold the Vette before I was given the go-ahead to pull the engine, so I'll be back to looking for another LT1 soon. Currently have a 77 f250 out in my bone yard waiting for the driveline to be donated, but I'm in need of another daily driver before I tackle that project.
But other than that, not a whole lot has been going on, new wheels (16x10 Ultra) with some 285/75, elephant ears, and a headache rack has been added since I've been away, but I have bee lights all the way around waiting for the install, and a set of rockers/cab corners sitting on the bench, waiting for an install as well.

But either way, it's good to be back on here, and more than likely posts/updates will be fewer and farther in between due to the expense of the projects, but updates will follow nonetheless.

Updates to come
-Justin