Little more power for my '96 454 dually...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^ agreed. If you start doing anything else, you won't be getting your money's worth until you get a tune. That said, if you're planning on doing anything else, recommend cam and/or intake at the same time or you'll need to tune twice.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like @ZRoe said, plug and play and not have to do anything severe, Black Bear all the way; I've actually still got my tuned black box and my factory black box computers sitting on a shelf. I was a little hesitant at first but it was well worth the money.

I like being difficult, so I swapped in an 0411; when it was first all dialed in I couldn't believe how crisp the throttle was, it was so worth all the trouble; now that I'm fighting fuel and ignition issues I'm hoping it'll be a legit night and day difference once it's all fixed and I can get in the computer and make some adjustments.

It's kind of a trade off really, $300 for a Black Bear tune and free retunes for life (but at the end of the day it's still a black box), or maybe around $200 for the pinout, a "pretuned" 0411, and all the connectors from Lextech; then it's $350 or so for HPTuners and credits but the power difference is unbelievable.

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
Like @ZRoe said, plug and play and not have to do anything severe, Black Bear all the way; I've actually still got my tuned black box and my factory black box computers sitting on a shelf. I was a little hesitant at first but it was well worth the money.

I like being difficult, so I swapped in an 0411; when it was first all dialed in I couldn't believe how crisp the throttle was, it was so worth all the trouble; now that I'm fighting fuel and ignition issues I'm hoping it'll be a legit night and day difference once it's all fixed and I can get in the computer and make some adjustments.

It's kind of a trade off really, $300 for a Black Bear tune and free retunes for life (but at the end of the day it's still a black box), or maybe around $200 for the pinout, a "pretuned" 0411, and all the connectors from Lextech; then it's $350 or so for HPTuners and credits but the power difference is unbelievable.

Thanks. I actually have had the 411 kit from Lextech for years but have been a little intimidated by the process to change it over. Looks like I need to get on with it. I have about 3 months to wait for the toy hauler to be built so have some time to make it happen.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your 0411 already turned?

I actually paid black bear to tune my 0411 (also haven't installed mine yet [emoji3525]) that way I have their support and I plan on getting a scan cable tune once I get it running to make sure it is dialed in right.

Getting HPtuners or EFI live is tempting but I don't need another hobby/thing to learn.

There's a chassis Dyno shop close by that charges $60 for 3 pulls so for $120 I might try and get a before and after 0411 for educational purposes [emoji16]

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
Is your 0411 already turned?

I actually paid black bear to tune my 0411 (also haven't installed mine yet [emoji3525]) that way I have their support and I plan on getting a scan cable tune once I get it running to make sure it is dialed in right.

Getting HPtuners or EFI live is tempting but I don't need another hobby/thing to learn.

There's a chassis Dyno shop close by that charges $60 for 3 pulls so for $120 I might try and get a before and after 0411 for educational purposes [emoji16]

It's however Lextech tuned it after I sent him the paperwork he asked to be completed. Going to search for local shops that can do the swap and tune it today. I'm still apprehensive about trying to do the pin out and such myself.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally have a viable 3rd vehicle again so I can lay up the Suburban for a bit, now I'm just waiting for the time to sit down and work through the pin out.
It definitely seems intimidating, but I've heard that patience and due diligence checking your wires pays off.
I was planning to invite a pedantic friend over that likes wiring things and start early in the morning with coffee so hopefully later in the day we can celebrate with something harder [emoji16]

TerryH

Lets go racin' boyz!!
Reaction score
I finally have a viable 3rd vehicle again so I can lay up the Suburban for a bit, now I'm just waiting for the time to sit down and work through the pin out.
It definitely seems intimidating, but I've heard that patience and due diligence checking your wires pays off.
I was planning to invite a pedantic friend over that likes wiring things and start early in the morning with coffee so hopefully later in the day we can celebrate with something harder [emoji16]

Thankfully the dually is reserved for towing and cruising around. Have a Hemi Ram for the daily. Whether I do it or I get someone to do it I'm determined to get it done. Few other things on the list like a extra trans cooler and such in prep for the new toy hauler's arrival in December.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a sharp dually!

How do you like the tow mirrors? I've been debating putting them on my Suburban but all I tow is my 22' ski boat.