Like your opinion on getting a new engine or finding one a used one.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of you know I have a 73 crew cab dually c30 waiting for me to start working on. It has a stock 454 that is carbed and not fuel injected or course. I will like to get a fuel injected/computerized motor. I would also like to stick with 454. What do you guys think I should do, buy a brand new crate 454 motor or find one that is used from a 90 + truck?

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
IMO i'd find a late 90's 1 ton with a vortec but a crate would be less complicated. I'd like to take the 6.2 out of my 79 Jimmy and do the same swap that you're planning on. Keep us posted!

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Definitely go with a motor that's already in a running truck so you know that you have all of the computer/ fuel injection parts and they are in working order. Good luck and keep us posted.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
What is the main purpose of this truck? If you go with a take out engine definitley get a vortec. There are way too many hurdles to overcome trying to get a tbi big block to run respectivley.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What are the cost of the votecs/6.0s?