Lifter tick issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a 97 C1500 with the 350. On cold mornings, it had a passenger side tick. When driving it for a few minutes it goes away as it warms up but before it sounds like a diesel sometimes. I’ve heard to try adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase before an oil change and that hasn’t helped. My main concern is do I need to replace the lifters? I’ve also wondered if it’s an exhaust leak but I don’t think that’s the case.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main concern is do I need to replace the lifters?
Probably not but, I'd pull the valve covers and check my lifter preload and feel for any loose rocker arms.

I’ve also wondered if it’s an exhaust leak but I don’t think that’s the case.
That's a possibility.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I have had ProLong stop the lifter tick in 2 different engines. I don't know what magic is in that snake oil but the tick never came back in both engines.

Besides, Smokey Yunick used to endorse the stuff. He's not known for bullshirt.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a lifter tick in my old tbi 350. Ended up being a bad lifter bore. Also, I thought exhaust leaks were constant.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Lifter preload as in the torque spec on the rocker arms?
Yeah Kenny, that's right. But it's not a simple torque spec, more complicated than that. The specific lifter you want to adjust has to be on the base circle of its cam lobe, at zero lash. Then you tighten around 1/2 to 3/4 turn to set preload.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Kenny, that's right. But it's not a simple torque spec, more complicated than that. The specific lifter you want to adjust has to be on the base circle of its cam lobe, at zero lash. Then you tighten around 1/2 to 3/4 turn to set preload.
May have to consult my manual on that one…

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Here is the procedure to adjust the valves on a new 8 cylinder engine:

Turn the crank clockwise while watching the number one cylinder pushrods.

Watch the exhaust pushrod go up and down and then the intake pushrod go up and down.

Continue to rotate the crank after the intake pushrod goes all the way down until the timing marks

Line up on 0 degrees.

(This will be LESS than 1/2 turn of the crank after the intake pushrod is all the way down.)

Install rockers and tighten the nut while rattling the pushrods up and down until the rattle just stops.

At this point you are at ZERO LASH.

Tighten further to add your preload ( typically 1/2 turn after the rattle stops ).

Do this to both rockers for number 1 cylinder. Cylinder number 1 is DONE!

Now turn the crank 90 degrees ( 1/4 turn) and set the rockers for the next cylinder in the firing order.

After the second cylinder in the firing order turn the crank 90 degrees and set the third cylinder in the firing order.

Repeat this procedure for the remaining cylinders, one for each 90 degrees of crank rotation

ending with the last cylinder in the firing order.

After the last cylinder in the firing order's rockers are set turn the crank until the timing marks

line up with 10 degrees BEFORE top dead center (BTDC).

Install the distributor aligning the rotor with the cap location that you want to put number 1 spark plug wire.

Line up the magnetic pickup with the reluctor and then rotate the distributor opposite the direction of rotation

JUST SLIGHTLY until the points are BARELY misaligned. Tighten down the distributor.

You are now pre-timed for 10 degrees Before TDC. And the engine should start right up!