License plate lights on a 1992 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 92 silverado with license plate lights that are out. I only have one though. I tried getting to the back of it but could not take it out. Any help? Im not sure if the truck comes without license plate lights, but im not trying to get pulled over. Below is a picture that shows only one tag light on the left, and on the right only a piece of plastic covering the hole where another light should go.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is not a factory bumper, and that tag light isn't either. The OEM tag lights are in a rectangular housing that looks much different from the single circular one you have. As long as the one you have works I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not a factory bumper, and that tag light isn't either. The OEM tag lights are in a rectangular housing that looks much different from the single circular one you have. As long as the one you have works I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thats the issue. Its out. Im trying to get it out so i can replace the bulb but im not able to.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Well sorry I'm not much help then. Like I said that's all aftermarket stuff and I've never messed with any of it in person. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Looks like the same lights/fixtures that are used on my step bumper.

IIRC, last time I replaced one it had to be broken apart to get it out of the hole in the bumper. The new ones snap in easy enough and its only one wire to hook up. Don't think I ever tried to replace the bulb in one(if that is even possible), at 6.99 each they seem pretty much disposable.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/s....oap?ck=Search_N0390_-1_-1&pt=N0390&ppt=C0155

Dorman Part # 85808

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's definitely the type he has in his bumper, and it's no big deal to replace the bulb. It's just a medium base bayonet style bulb (same type used under the dash by the kick panels in the 1988-1994 trucks.) It's just that usually the socket doesn't jump right out of the lens when you try to pop it out; you have to shove it a little. Don't bust your knuckles when it finally decides to let go.

Richard