Let's talk Exo-Cages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at this point that the Blazer will get an Exo-Cage. While I'll have no problem with actually fabricating one, I've never built one before.

I'm basically wanting to know the tips and tricks of GMT400 Exo-Cages. Some pictures for ideas would be great. What are the do's and the don'ts for how they're actually designed? Where are good spots to put bars? Where is the best spot to actually mount the cage? Are there certain spots better on the frame? What tubing thickness works the best and will hold up? If I built them like the build industrial equipment it would all be 1/2" wall! Haha.

Also, is it a completely far fetched idea to not have the cage solid mounted, but bolt on? I'd like to be able to take it off if need be.

Thanks dudes! Much appreciated.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
one of my fave things as the pirate build and the 1ton guy on here did was cut their rockers out with 1x3 steel or whatever size it was and start basing things off that. full exo how eleaborate do you want full hood? do you want release pins and such so you can remove some sections of the cage? ive never been a fan of exo cages so for me to think of how to make one looks good i wouldnt try, i like a nicely tucked interior cage with some exterior armor is fine.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
one of my fave things as the pirate build and the 1ton guy on here did was cut their rockers out with 1x3 steel or whatever size it was and start basing things off that. full exo how eleaborate do you want full hood? do you want release pins and such so you can remove some sections of the cage? ive never been a fan of exo cages so for me to think of how to make one looks good i wouldnt try, i like a nicely tucked interior cage with some exterior armor is fine.

edit* sure you can have it bolt on, but as you know as a welder where its bolted to needs reinforcement, now stansions from your frame that bolt to the entire cage that can be removed, the stansions left there (as they are welded) and a step or something functional besides the cage can take setting there so it doesnt look like wierd welded to your frame and such.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

I plan on boat siding it because the rockers are junk. The vehicle needs to be fully functional for now. Hood and doors. My plan for making the cage removable, mount to the frame using poly bushings. Mount the cross bars using normal cage slugs.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
as far as the geometry i dont know i would have to sit down and think about it. i personally would full interior cage minus doors, your exo cage i wouldnt bother with poly bushings, solid mount it otherwise theres room for trouble as you have some flex and possibility of part failure which means your cage has to stick past the body to accompany any possible failure of said bushings, solid mount it.bolt on for removal type thing as close to the body as possible would like alot better.

follow the lines of the truck, hell make tube doors and a quick disconnet for all the power stuff that flows with the exo cage.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yup, I've seen that one a few times. Thanks Scott.