Let's clear something up for you guys, shall we?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
From a nostalgic perspective, among others, I have a tendency to severely disagree with your assertion, including the inclusion of the 454 into this "nothing super special" category.

Why? its just a Big block, nothing special, have four of them downstairs, Ones i consider special are 427, LS6, LS5, etc. but a 396/402 in a pickup was nothing special, my dad has one that has a comp cam and some goodies in his camaro, not really any more fun then the mild 350 in my truck. :dunno:

Back when he had his 427 in there, different story.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I suppose you're as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. The LS5, the LS6, the ZL1, the L78, all fine motors by me. Granted, the tall deck BBC's powered dump trucks and school buses, and the like, I still hold them in a fairly higher regard than nothing super special. Being that you're 19 years old, I may appreciate older things more than you do though. We have something in common, I definitely like the orange on that truck in your sig. :D

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? its just a Big block, nothing special, have four of them downstairs, Ones i consider special are 427, LS6, LS5, etc. but a 396/402 in a pickup was nothing special, my dad has one that has a comp cam and some goodies in his camaro, not really any more fun then the mild 350 in my truck. :dunno:

Back when he had his 427 in there, different story.

I agree. I own a built 396, that realistically cost me enough to have bought a crate 502. They are nothing special, especially the small displacement they have. Yeah they rev with a short stroke but who really cares. If you get more than 500 Hp out of one that's streetable you are doing good. For the same money you can build something that has way more displacement and will blow any 396 out of the water. If you are going the route of a big block you are pi$$ing your money away for not not spending the same to go bigger. I should know because 10 years I did that out of the idea of be nostalgic.

I would take a built 6.0 liter over one anyday of the week..... oh and that's right, I did.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I agree. I own a built 396, that realistically cost me enough to have bought a crate 502. They are nothing special, especially the small displacement they have. Yeah they rev with a short stroke but who really cares. If you get more than 500 Hp out of one that's streetable you are doing good. For the same money you can build something that has way more displacement and will blow any 396 out of the water. If you are going the route of a big block you are pi$$ing your money away for not not spending the same to go bigger. I should know because 10 years I did that out of the idea of be nostalgic.

I would take a built 6.0 liter over one anyday of the week..... oh and that's right, I did.

In some ways I'm a purist, perhaps it makes me weird. That is just fine. I've seen some pretty impressive numbers with old iron open chamber 781's, in both stock and custom bore/stroke configurations. For kicks, if I had the chance, I'd even enjoy putting together a 301 in a light stick car. To each his own. We're just blabbering opinions on the internet anyways, right?

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing a 396 in something other than what it wasn't originally put into is of course not being pure. Just like using a late model GM engine and doing the same. Maybe you are just a nostalgist?

Either way the 781's are a decent head considering they dig their roots in the 1970's. A ported set of those actually don the 396 I have.

Opinions are like @$$holes in that everyone has one and they are all usually different.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Installing a 396 in something other than what it wasn't originally put into is of course not being pure. Just like using a late model GM engine and doing the same. Maybe you are just a nostalgist?

Either way the 781's are a decent head considering they dig their roots in the 1970's. A ported set of those actually don the 396 I have.

Opinions are like @$$holes in that everyone has one and they are all usually different.

The only way I'd put an LS engine in my old muscle car would be if someone paid me to do it. I guess you're right, I am a nostalgist.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well don't worry, you couldn't pay me to install that 396 I have in anything, lol. Hence why it's for sale. Muscle car? What does that have to do with a truck discussion, lol. I like how these questions get so easily side tracked. Of course I have my hand in that too.

89rcsb

Reaction score
I think marrying old and new technology is a beautiful thing. People have been putting SBCs in 30's Fords, Chevys, and Dodges since the SBC... why not take that idea to the next level? LS7 in a '70 Chevelle? It'll go like stink and be good on gas too. Nostalgia as far as engines are concerned goes as far as face value for me. A 396 was a very pretty engine dressed up in factory SS trim. Other than that, they're nothing special, really. Especially not by today's standards. They weren't mindblowing or even super exciting back then, and they haven't gotten any better.

Nostalgia or not, though, a DZ302 is one hell of an engine.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think marrying old and new technology is a beautiful thing. People have been putting SBCs in 30's Fords, Chevys, and Dodges since the SBC... why not take that idea to the next level? LS7 in a '70 Chevelle? It'll go like stink and be good on gas too. Nostalgia as far as engines are concerned goes as far as face value for me. A 396 was a very pretty engine dressed up in factory SS trim. Other than that, they're nothing special, really. Especially not by today's standards. They weren't mindblowing or even super exciting back then, and they haven't gotten any better.

Nostalgia or not, though, a DZ302 is one hell of an engine.

I love resto-mods, I dont get why youd pay more for a car with outdated technology. Numbers matching, pffff, Ill take disk brakes, coilovers, fuel injection, a good stereo, stiff chassis and hid lights thanks. Never got the whole nostalgia thing when it came to muscle cars, they were built to be modded, and raced. Im not saying start ripping apart your Yenko Camara or GT350, but otherwise, why would I want to drive a car thats got 60's technology in it?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I suppose you're as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. The LS5, the LS6, the ZL1, the L78, all fine motors by me. Granted, the tall deck BBC's powered dump trucks and school buses, and the like, I still hold them in a fairly higher regard than nothing super special. Being that you're 19 years old, I may appreciate older things more than you do though. We have something in common, I definitely like the orange on that truck in your sig. :D

Dont let the fact that im only 19 fool you. My Orange chev is powered by a Carb'd 350, soon to be getting a TH400, My Lemans has a 455 Buick, and ive grown up around muscle cars my whole life.

Im not saying typical BBC's are **** or anything, I love them in fact, But i dont think they are any more better then a nicely build SBC, BBC and SBC's all have their places!

Edit: My pop even has two 427 (454 block, 396 crank) engines sitting in our garage, one has LS6 heads and when fully rebuilt will have a 8-71 and will be going back in his 1969 Camaro, Camaro has a pretty typical "396", its a .030 over 402, out of a 1972 GMC 1/2ton, Comp XE268H Cam, pretty stock otherwise. Its a toss up on whos vehicle is nicer to drive, mine has alot more lope and "Show"