Something for you TBI guys to check up on! (EGR hose)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Recently, my TBI 355 has been running like complete crap, ever since i got it in Spring of 2011. She was shaking bad at idle and getting atrocious mileage. So i asked my mechanic (my best-friend's dad) and he suggested a vacuum leak. Turns out the EGR hose was cracked OPEN and leaking the gas vapors out, while sucking TONS of air in, causing the truck to burn TONS more fuel to keep the mixture correct. We replaced the hose, and hose-clamped it. I now have 72 miles on the trip meter and STILL have a full tank, and she runs at a much lower RPM, no studdering, and sooo smooth at idle and accelerating.

Here is what I'm talking about, for whoever doesn't know, it's right under the front of the TBI unit. I'm not sure where it is on the Vortec engines, so i just mentioned TBIs in the title.

You must be registered for see images attach

Close-up of it hose-clamped:

Also, this one was cracked to hell too, its on the passenger-side valve cover:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its part of the PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation System) What it does it it take the combustion gasses that blow by the piston rings and sucks it back into the motor to get burned.

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Takes some Exhaust gasses and reroutes them back to the intake manifold to 1) Lower combustion temps 2) helps fuel economy 3) a few other things I can't remember at this time :think: