LED Third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiemudslinger

Son's BEAST
Reaction score
So this weekend I tried to install a LED third brake assembly on my sons 95 Z71. the light works but when you turn off the inside dome light the brake comes on and if you open the door or turn on the dome light it goes off. :hmm:

I don't know why and if I put the factory light back on it works like it should. :hmm:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What brand of aftermarket housing, what model? What's the connector look like?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weird. Sounds to me like maybe whoever manufactured it wired the plug wrong or did something strange on the circuit board. If your factory 3rd brake housing functions properly then my guess would be there's a fault with the aftermarket housing. This is one of the reasons why I stick with name brand stuff that comes recommended, never had any issues like this with my Anzo LED 3rd brake housing. If I were you I'd return it and try something else.

Someone else may be more helpful as far as modifying the one you have to work or altering wiring, but I can't speak to that as I never had to deal with this issue, sorry. I know it does tie into the dome circuit to some extent, but not exactly sure how.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you like the look of them, try one from Anzo. They're a little more expensive than the off-brand ones, but I love mine. No issues at all other than a small water leak, but that's an issue specific to my setup. Ran the wire for my XM antenna under the gasket and it wasn't sealing 100% A little silicone fixed that right up, though.

EDIT - Here's some links to them.

Smoked - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANZO-USA-531065-Third-Brake-Light-Assembly-LED-Smoke-Lens-Chrome-/360968517838?hash=item540b6678ce&vxp=mtr

Clear - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anzo-Third-Brake-Light-Lamp-New-Chevy-Suburban-Chevrolet-C1500-Truck-531064-/121544486391?hash=item1c4c9dadf7&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't seen an afermarket LED 3rd brake light that I like, yet. :(

I know what you mean, truthfully if my factory lens hadn't snapped while I was messing with it one day I never would have bought mine. Unfortunately GM discontinued the factory lenses for standard cabs.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's kinda why I got that IPCW clear lens, looks like factory, just all clear. Was gonna run LED bulbs behind it on the factory socket. But the damn thing only fits regular and crew cabs...no extended cab, and they don't offer one.

Richard