Leaky Suburban driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 99 Suburban that has water leaking in somewhere, its quite a bit actually, after a good rain I will have dripping condensation on my windshield. I have replaced the windshield and still have it. I think I have narrowed it down to the passengers side rear door where the top drip edge ends. It looks like the drip edge is running the water down the door frame like its supposed to but it must be getting past the weatherstripping. I have cleaned the weatherstripping and there aren't any cracks and it still looks good. Is there anything I can put on the rubber to revitalize it or should I just replace the weatherstripping (not sure where to find that) Anywhere else I should look for water intrusion areas?

Thanks

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a leak in my burb couple years back. I had thought of the weather stripping but it looked fine. Sealed the roof rack, didnt help, check the back window and no signs of water. Mine finally ended up being the drivers side rear quarter panel glass. Whoever replaced the window didnt seal it properly and water was coming through the gasket into the cab an either flowing backwards towards the back glass or towards the second row which is why it took my forever to find it. Sit inside an have someone outside with a hose spraying the truck, it's worth a shot to see if you spot a drip

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Following... my rear cargo area carpet gets damp with rain and smells a bit musty (up close even when dry) so I've got some water coming in somewhere. I've had the rear hatch/window weatherstripping replaced with no change.

Garrett how did you seal your roof rack?

Jase007

Reaction score
Check around your front windshield frame (the body) for pinhole rust leaks.

When I had a new windshield put in two summers ago, ended up with a water leak afterwards. Water came down driver's side, top front window. Water would leak into the cabin, land onto headliner and then under breaking ... would drip down onto steering wheel console. Initially thought it was the roof rack attachment to the body but pouring water there didn't recreate the leak. Sealed up pinhole rust at top of the windscreen (lip on the body) and that "seems" to have addressed the issue.

Still not 100% convinced.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
I had a leak in my burb couple years back. I had thought of the weather stripping but it looked fine. Sealed the roof rack, didnt help, check the back window and no signs of water. Mine finally ended up being the drivers side rear quarter panel glass. Whoever replaced the window didnt seal it properly and water was coming through the gasket into the cab an either flowing backwards towards the back glass or towards the second row which is why it took my forever to find it. Sit inside an have someone outside with a hose spraying the truck, it's worth a shot to see if you spot a drip

I had a similar situation: turned out that it was a combination of four smaller leaks: 1. the boot that seals between the door and the frame (passenger's door) wasn't seated/sealed, and water would run down the hole, and into the passenger compartment; 2. roof rack h/w had rusted solid, but had enough of a path for water to get by, run along the roof, down the A-pillar, on onto the passenger floor; 3. deteriorated door seals (replaced with new from LMC truck); and 4. leak between windshield and body (windshield had been replaced, and the seal didn't hold up)--this one was sneaky, since the water would wick up the headliner, then trickle down the A-pillar, and show up on the floor.

Best of luck with your leaks!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the ****** part was I had the truck scheduled for a trans replacement and I had told the shop it needed to be inside because I hadn't found the source of the leak at that time, guess who left it outside for 2 weeks in December then when I picked it up it was covered inside in mold spores. There went more money to have carpets replaced an everything cleaned an sanitized before my twins were born

Reaction score
Ok well I took 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I actually went ahead and pulled all the carpets out of my suburban (holy moly what a job) and got them finally dried out. The rubber padding was completely soaked in a lot of places. I threw water on the roof and found the 2 places it was leaking. the Roof Guttering was clogged up on the rear pass door causing the water to pool up on the door weatherstripping, then after enough pooled up it pushed through. The second i haven't been able to fix yet. The Rear barn doors the water is running around the weatherstripping like it should but when it gets to the bottom its pooling up against the plastic cover and then getting over the pinch weld at the door. I went in and re-sealed the weatherstripping with 3m adhesive but it is still wicking over the seam somehow, any idea how to combat this?
You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM did revise the weatherstripping on these through a TSB.

My Tahoe has a leak similar to yours, but it’s a tailgate model. Water travels along the face of the weatherstripping and pools at the bottom, overflowing into the cargo area. Mine is an obvious misalignment of the liftglass and tailgate, but I’ve never been able to remedy it. The final solution (and it still irritates me to no end) was this...

Here is the TSB that they came out with.