Leaking 3rd Brake Light/Cargo Light 1995 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last night I posted the image above and the comment below to the "What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?" thread:

"Can't seem to find the rubber gasket that goes with the Center High Mounted Stop and Cargo Lamp Housing to fit my C3500. Apparently it came with discontinued Part # 16522433 (Superseded to # 16520605, also discontinued). It's # 6 in the diagram. It'd be nice if the aftermarket would come up with a decent replacement."

Today I got a link to this thread from df2x4, so it seems like I'm definitely not the only one looking for this rubber gasket. It's truly a shame that the only aftermarket solution seems to be using cheap crappy Chinese CHMSL replacements. Are we going to have to wait until these trucks qualify as antiques before OEM-type quality replacement parts become available?

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Last night I posted the image above and the comment below to the "What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?" thread:

"Can't seem to find the rubber gasket that goes with the Center High Mounted Stop and Cargo Lamp Housing to fit my C3500. Apparently it came with discontinued Part # 16522433 (Superseded to # 16520605, also discontinued). It's # 6 in the diagram. It'd be nice if the aftermarket would come up with a decent replacement."

Today I got a link to this thread from df2x4, so it seems like I'm definitely not the only one looking for this rubber gasket. It's truly a shame that the only aftermarket solution seems to be using cheap crappy Chinese CHMSL replacements. Are we going to have to wait until these trucks qualify as antiques before OEM-type quality replacement parts become available?

I was reading that thread and I couldn't agree more this gasket and possibly even the lens needs to be added to the list! But yes, I would have to say we gotta wait another 10 years before these plastic parts start getting reproduced....

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got my neoprene just in time for the weekend and made a gasket. I will say turned out really well and looks like it should seal no problem! Now I may make another one here shortly becasue I didn't leave enough or as much as I would like on the top side/roof of the lens. But its held down tight and squished nice. So well see how it does since its gonna storm the next 2 days...

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well just an update. My DIY gasket did not work, turns out my housing was warped on the top left corner causing it still to leak. So it looks like I may try a heat gun and get the lens super warm and twist it back. Also I will be covering the lens screw bosses in JB weld so they dont crack and pull through when I tighten it down again.

Attention some aftermarket supplier, please start making a good solution! :help:

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put new sealing washers under my screws. Make sure enough gasket at top to extend. I left mine long and trimmed a little after fitment. Good luck.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put new sealing washers under my screws. Make sure enough gasket at top to extend. I left mine long and trimmed a little after fitment. Good luck.

Hmm that's a good option is to use sealing washers with a longer screw maybe? Then it would pull really tight.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there anything that we can use as a think gasket to seal up any imperfections on the stock ones? I have a similar issue.

I used an old inner tube and cut it to fit. Has worked fine for years. Did the same thing when I installed a third brake/turn light on my camper shell. No leaks for two years now. Foam and stuff seems to deteriorate fairly quick.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats not a bad idea for sealing. Only problem for me is, i think my housing is too warped on the left corner. So I would need something thicker.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update on my amazon foam gasket. It's now been 6 months and it's still holding up and no links as far as I can tell. I have new carpet from autocustom carpet I installed after fixing the 3rd brake light and I'm not going to pull it up to check but no water on the window and no musty smells. I do think the foam probably will deteriorate over time but been though automated car washes about 2 or 3 times a month and sits in sun all day and so far so good.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update on my amazon foam gasket. It's now been 6 months and it's still holding up and no links as far as I can tell. I have new carpet from autocustom carpet I installed after fixing the 3rd brake light and I'm not going to pull it up to check but no water on the window and no musty smells. I do think the foam probably will deteriorate over time but been though automated car washes about 2 or 3 times a month and sits in sun all day and so far so good.

Good to hear yours is working! Right now im rocking that gorilla tape hahaha My housing and lens took a crap and both are broken now. I was not able to get my neoprene gaskets to work. So I am looking at other options and possibly making something....