Leaking 3rd Brake Light/Cargo Light 1995 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to change my carpet and headliner yesterday and found a lot of water under the carpet. Found out it was my 3rd Brake Light. Someone had installed a cheap China made LED light and it fits like crap. I've taken it apart and resealed 2 times and still wont stop. Killed my progress. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy OEM Cargo Lights and I ordered another LED from Amazon as a last resort but the reviews of all were bad and most all stated that they leak. I'm about to head to the junkyard and didn't see a thread on this. Do others have this issue. I bet you do. I had no idea of the leak. The water was channeled away from the rear window and ran down underneath interior panels and the carpet has a heavy rubber backing so the water wasn't visible. Thankfully, the time with this light must have been short enough and GM did a good job painting and sealing the floorpan so no rust? What are folks doing?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OEM 3rd brake light lenses are discontinued. I believe you can still buy the bulb housings new but I haven't checked in a long time.

The issue with some of the aftermarket 3rd brake lights is that most manufacturers don't take into account that there are two different styles of 3rd brake lights for these trucks. There's a standard/crew cab housing and an extended cab housing. They do not interchange. If you try to install the wrong type of OEM housing it won't seal up properly against the back of the cab.

I gave up on finding a good condition OEM lens when mine broke and got one of these aftermarket LED 3rd brake lights from Anzo. I got the smoked one, part number 531065. There's also a clear chrome one, part number 531064. They seem to be a compromise between both OEM housing styles so they should work on all cab types. (Just an assumption based on the slightly different angle of the lens) I installed mine on a standard cab and had to run a bead of silicone under the top edge before I tightened it down, but that was mainly because I have a cable for my XM antenna that exits along the top edge of that gasket. I believe if that cable wasn't there I wouldn't have had any issues. The housing itself has been water tight through car washes for years now.

https://www.amazon.com/AnzoUSA-531065-Smoke-Chevrolet-Silverado/dp/B007VXCYPI

https://www.amazon.com/531064-Chrome-Third-Brake-Silverado/dp/B007VXCYOO

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if I have this leak in my 95 Suburban... was the LED brake light above the window OEM? The carpet in my rear cargo area gets slightly damp and I cannot figure out why/where. I've already had the rear AC checked and blower replaced (so don't think it's a condensation drain issue there) and rear window seal replaced.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking for a clean replacement lens for my regular cab for over 4 months. PO had a cap on and it rubbed through my lens. Good luck.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there anything that we can use as a think gasket to seal up any imperfections on the stock ones? I have a similar issue.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I used black gasket maker, but I’m also utilizing bedliner on all surfaces of my truck, because my factory paint job sucked all over.

I’m thinking I need to revisit this because I’m finding the back part of my extended cab mostly under the rear seat is damp. I have one of those cheap Chinese lights and that was the reason for sealing it up the way I did.

Good looking out on a better product @df2x4.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I got two at the Junkyard Sat. I now know get curvature difference. I could use one but it still leaked. Gasket was pretty weather cracked. So I sealed the heck out of it with windshield sealer. Still leaked. Ordered a new Chinese LED from amazon. Cracked my junkyard part taking it back off due to sticking from the sealer. The new led didn’t leak water into the cab but with the hose it half filled up with water inside the lens and circuit board. I’m at a loss. I found a few new boards for $150 from GM but it takes a lot to find one. I think they come with a gasket but I have three hairline cracks which may leak and there are no new factory lens. Corner of my junkyard lens in broken off a little too. Oh I forgot to mention that I ordered neoprene foam rubber and tried that too as a gasket but the new LED FLexed and the red lights lit up. Don’t know what to do. I bet there are tons of folks with leaks that just do not know. I really need to put my new carpet in. I’m driving with a half bench seat and rest gutted except for dash and door panels.

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
Went to change my carpet and headliner yesterday and found a lot of water under the carpet. Found out it was my 3rd Brake Light. Someone had installed a cheap China made LED light and it fits like crap. I've taken it apart and resealed 2 times and still wont stop. Killed my progress. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy OEM Cargo Lights and I ordered another LED from Amazon as a last resort but the reviews of all were bad and most all stated that they leak. I'm about to head to the junkyard and didn't see a thread on this. Do others have this issue. I bet you do. I had no idea of the leak. The water was channeled away from the rear window and ran down underneath interior panels and the carpet has a heavy rubber backing so the water wasn't visible. Thankfully, the time with this light must have been short enough and GM did a good job painting and sealing the floorpan so no rust? What are folks doing?
When I bought my '98 K2500 a year ago I was warned by the PO that the CHMSL was leaking.
Repeated "fixes"over the years pretty much destroyed the housing
I lucked out; and found one on e-Bay by saving the search criteria & getting daily updates.
The gasket was a little funky so I bedded it in with 3M Strip Caulk and (fingers crossed) it has not leaked
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PEZ1L4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps
Edward

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a second LED Light from Amazon and this time left it untouched except put stripcaulk around the perimeter of the gasket between the cab and rubber gasket. No leak in the cab but like last time water leaked into the light. I even sealed the screw holes. The gasket on the Amazon China LED PART just isn’t stuck well with glue where it overlaps up onto the light and it takes in water. What to do.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a second LED Light from Amazon and this time left it untouched except put stripcaulk around the perimeter of the gasket between the cab and rubber gasket. No leak in the cab but like last time water leaked into the light. I even sealed the screw holes. The gasket on the Amazon China LED PART just isn’t stuck well with glue where it overlaps up onto the light and it takes in water. What to do.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score