Leaking 3rd Brake Light/Cargo Light 1995 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
:banana-mario:After buying Amazon China Light no 2, which still leaked even with and without strip caulk,into the assembly and half filled up with water I tried making my own gasket from 1/4in thick neoprene rubber I ordered from Amazon. Not sure how long it will last in the sun and through car washes but I’ve been trying stuff for a week and first success. This was my $15 junkyard assy paired with my hand cut gasket. The roll was $15 from Amazon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To confirm. No leaks when tested with a water hose, if it wasn’t clear. This rubber is pretty soft so some a little bit denser might be good but needs to be a little soft. I’m just happy no leaks. Now I can put in my new autocustom carpet.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To confirm. No leaks when tested with a water hose, if it wasn’t clear. This rubber is pretty soft so some a little bit denser might be good but needs to be a little soft. I’m just happy no leaks. Now I can put in my new autocustom carpet.

How is that neoprene homemade gasket holding up Bodageta1995? I'm in the same boat and I did not like the fit and finish of the ANZO light I ordered and didn't trust that gasket. And I don't feel like paying $150 plus for a GM part right now.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is that neoprene homemade gasket holding up Bodageta1995? I'm in the same boat and I did not like the fit and finish of the ANZO light I ordered and didn't trust that gasket. And I don't feel like paying $150 plus for a GM part right now.

So far so good. No leaks. I’ve been through a rotating brush car wash about three times. Extension of the rubber on the upper side seems to be the biggest concern. The rubber does need to be a bit spongy to allow it to contour as its of uniform thickness but the sponginess probably reduces the life of the gasket. Not sure about uv sunlight resistance. I’m an engineer, former automotive, atv, now aircraft. I’ve done some product testing in my life. If I were to guess I would estimate around three year life. I think it’s a good option for short term but if you plan to keep the truck the rest of your life as I do, the $150 might be worth it. I have other financial obligations at the moment so I haven’t bought one but the supply is limited. I’ve considered buying one and 3D scanning or making a mold to produce but don’t know the interest it would have. Best of Luck. It’s frustrating for sure. Most all other parts for these trucks are dirt cheap. If you buy make sure to get the right one for your truck as extended cab TBLs are diff shape.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I uploaded a screenshot from what I ordered. I might recommend 3/16 think if I had to do it again but the 1/4 think is proven by my one use.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I uploaded a screenshot from what I ordered. I might recommend 3/16 think if I had to do it again but the 1/4 think is proven by my one use.

Sweet good to hear and thanks for the quick update! Ill probably stick to the 1/4" since I know its working for you. Plus the extra compression from the 1/4 will probably help keep a good tight seal. But its good to hear that you took a little engineering stand point to it haha. But I need it as a temporary fix like 1-2 years. The money is tight with some bills happening so I just need to get by and then ill buy the GM original part. Ill be ordering some right now, I'm trying to solve water leaks at the back window and 3rd brake light.