L30 5.0 to L31 5.7 swap questions31 5.7 swap in 98 Silverado-questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I picked up this really clean 98 Silverado the other day for a great price. The only problem is the engine oil looks like brown molasis and gooped ot of the drain pan in a very nasty thick consistancy. I figure cracked head maybe cracked block with lots of coolant in the oil. I have a good 5.7 vortec out of a 98 Tahoe but this thing has a 5.0 in it. What all would I have to change to make the 5.7 run correctly? Swap engine harness and computer? Not real big into flashing CPU's and stuff and I do not have anyone local that does that thing. Any hints would be apreciated. I am getting ready to pull the heads off this week and see if the botom end can be saved as it ran when I picked it up, ran bad, but it ran. No rust on the body or the frame.

You must be registered for see images

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap the engine and pcm. Harness should be the same, with a possible difference in the O2 sensors, depending on how many and where they are on the truck.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk