L29 Timing Map - Who has changed theirs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has spent time on a dyno figuring out exactly what the L29 wants for timing at WOT or even part throttle cruising I suppose? I've been working on tuning the timing map for my truck (I know mine will probably want something different than a stock L29) but I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm commanding enough timing. Part throttle cruising I'm commanding 32-35 degrees, WOT I'm commanding 21-23 degrees. No KR with this map.

It seems to like what I'm doing, but I still have more testing to do.
You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's only been 22 hours since your original post.... there are not alot of people on here that map their own... give it some time for those that do to notice your thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine once the truck is back together and running. Got parts coming to wrap up my cam swap now ASSuming I don't need longer pushrods. Gonna buy a longer caliper to measure stockers and see what I've got. I just yanked a 411 to swap in and that's when the tuning begins. I'd like to do NA first, then stick the blower back on. Either way I'll be running 91 octane.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless I find myself in a area without 91, which doesn't happen often, I only run 91 as well so I'm not too worried about being conservative with the timing. I also don't pull anything really heavy with this truck anymore so that isn't a huge concern. I'm strictly looking for best mileage (I know I can't expect much here, its a 8.0 L engine) and performance. I really need to just schedule some dyno time and see what the engine actually wants for timing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a waste of time to tune the truck without the blower? The VE table would be quite different I would think, aside from maybe the low rpm/load areas?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine once the truck is back together and running. Got parts coming to wrap up my cam swap now ASSuming I don't need longer pushrods. Gonna buy a longer caliper to measure stockers and see what I've got. I just yanked a 411 to swap in and that's when the tuning begins. I'd like to do NA first, then stick the blower back on. Either way I'll be running 91 octane.

Also, which software are you running?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorta a bump here, there has to be someone that has dyno tuned a L29. I'm running around 38* in light throttle areas and 28-30 in high load/rpm areas. The engine seems to like it, it pulls hard and my mileage isn't bad for what it is. Last tank I got 13.5 dailying it.