just trying to get an opinion on an engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
hi all, i have a 93 C1500 ecsb. the wheels in my head are turning and i am starting to think of what i want for an engine swap. I want to keep it simple and RELIABLE. i definitely want more power than the TBI, but at the same time, if i can, i want to keep the TBI setup just to keep things simple. My question is, Is 350-400 RELIABLE horsepower obtainable with a simple rebuild of the longblock?, or can i get a GMPP crate engine and put the TBI setup on it with a tune? like i said i want 350-400 hp. it seems with todays technology thats not an unfair thing to ask. I dunno... anybody done what i'm talking about? advise please? :)

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec heads can attain 350-400 horses. The TBI swirl ports will not do that no matter how much porting you do.

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like any vortech heads or the 906 L31 heads? and can i run my TBI with them?

Any of the 5.7 casting vortec heads can attain descent power. They flow pretty comparable to the LT1 heads and their are guys doing cam/bolt ons in those things and achieving around 380 horses on stock heads (although they do have a higher compression and a less restrictive intake manifold). Yes they will bolt on as long as you switch your intake manifold to a vortec style TBI manifold.

Honestly you'd probably need to get a set of pistons to bump your compression and get that kind of power though. I'd imagine on 9:1 (about stock for the truck motors) you can still do 350ish horses.