Just Installed Replacement Rear Speakers On My Extended Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carluvr

Reaction score
I just replaced the rear speakers in my '95 Extended Cab with Pioneer 4x6's. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't really the big hassle that I thought it was going to be. I had seriously considered going the "Cut out the holes and put 6X9's in" route but I just couldn't justify cutting into the panels in my truck.

Contrary to what I've read in several articles on the web, you don't have to remove your backseat or the headliner. Basically, all that I did was remove the two panels above and below the rear window, remove the upper front seatbelt mounts, remove the screw at the coat hooks, remove the rear armrests, and carefully pull the panels away at the top until you have enough room to get to the speakers. I did break a few clips in the process, but not nearly as many as I though I might, and everything went back together rather easily. The most difficult part was re-installing the two panels above and below the rear window.

Also contrary to what I've read, you don't really need any special interior trim tools to remove the panels. I bought two separate sets of interior trim tools thinking I would need them, but ended up not using them. You really just have to carefully pry the panels away at the clips with your hands.

Replacing the speakers themselves was basic: Remove the four bolts, cut off the connectors, and splice the new female ends that come with the speakers.

Here's a guide to the colored speaker wires:
Right Side-
Dark Blue = +
Light Blue = -

Left Side-
Brown = +
Yellow = -

Just wanted to write this to encourage those that are contemplating what to do when they face a blown a rear speaker like I did. It's not that hard to replace them with new ones if you take it slow and easy.

Shawn <><