Just got Dumplin. Gonna fix her up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Wiggins

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and may need some direction. I know these forums can be a wealth of knowledge if you know what to look for. Dumplin is in the shop getting the front end worked over but they can't figure whats wrong. Steering turns way too far and won't return to center. Its like something rolls over at the end of the steering before it hits the bump stop. The rear-end wants to push the front tires straight so i leave black streaks at every turn. Any ideas what that could be?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome and nice crew cab dually!

Sounds like there is some bent linkages or terrible alignment. Did you see anything out of the ordinary with the front end?

Chris Wiggins

Reaction score
Just had pitman and tie rods replaced and alignment done. This problem started when I got it back. Didn't do it before I took it in to them. The alignment was terrible before but It didnt have this problem before they "fixed" it the first time. Now they are telling me that everything looks correct and that is just how that truck drives.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Now they are telling me that everything looks correct and that is just how that truck drives.

Lol!

Any chance the truck has had a spool installed in the rear axle? ..... or a Lincoln Locker? Although, that doesn't really make sense with your timeline.

Steering stops on the control arms? Anything aftermarket there, or removed that's allowing steering over travel?

The knuckles usually come to a stop up against some pads on the control arms....at least on the 4x4. Do you have a 2wd, or 4wd..... I'm kinda guessing 2wd. I don't know the 2wd front end.

Chris Wiggins

Reaction score
Lol!

Any chance the truck has had a spool installed in the rear axle? ..... or a Lincoln Locker? Although, that doesn't really make sense with your timeline.

Steering stops on the control arms? Anything aftermarket there, or removed that's allowing steering over travel?

The knuckles usually come to a stop up against some pads on the control arms....at least on the 4x4. Do you have a 2wd, or 4wd..... I'm kinda guessing 2wd. I don't know the 2wd front end.

2WD. The shop that has it said that nothing has been modified. I really trust this shop. Been using them for years. Personally I think it has something to do with the alignment but can't put my finger on it.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought when you said the rear end was pushing the front tires would have been a spool or welded spider gears in the rear differential but I'd don't see anyone don't that to a crew cab dually.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome:

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Welcome!!! And yeah, if your shop uttered the words “that’s just how the truck drives” then your shop is a big part of your issues.

Hope you get it figured out and definitely hope to see more of this thing on here!

Chris Wiggins

Reaction score
Welcome!!! And yeah, if your shop uttered the words “that’s just how the truck drives” then your shop is a big part of your issues.

Hope you get it figured out and definitely hope to see more of this thing on here!

Its weird because that shop has always been great. I got the truck back yesterday and it is about 95% better. Its an alignment issue. I'm starting to think it wants to have just a touch of negative toe in the front end. You'll definately see more of it soon. I ripped all the old window tint out of it this morning. About to start sanding so I can repaint it. Needs a dash and a headliner and I'm golden. I look forward to providing updates.