Just a quick rant...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I still have my old timing non inductive light and dwell meter kit.

I remember when we got the BEAR tester hung in the shop and we thought we were as high tech as it could ever get.....

Sheesh.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 73 Jeep Commando that I'm currently trying to get in shape. Carb, points, four wheel drum (no power). It's a real treat to drive. Stopping is always an adventure.

I'm no mechanic, but I've been tinkering with cars for over 40 years. I was 29 before I bought a vehicle that didn't come home on a trailer or hook.

Still have my old 62 tbird. All original down to the points.

Planning on swapping that out for a petronix or a later duraspark conversion.

Planning on swapping the front drums out for some later model kelsey hayes 4 piston units.

Some things actually are better off left in the past....:rofl:

I also remember getting my first car in high school. Piece of rolling crap but it was all I could scrape together for.

Even so, i was one of about 4 guys who could even afford that. My crap pile was always full of people.

Now days, young 'uns get pee'd off because schools don't have enough parking......things have sure changed....

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the no power brakes. Or steering. Loved the fact that I could do a full 1/4 turn of the 18" steering wheel and it wouldn't do anything, that made stopping that much more fun. And I never had the top on the damn thing. Drove it in the rain, snow, and mud for 2 years without it.

You must be registered for see images attach

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Still have my old 62 tbird. All original down to the points.

Planning on swapping that out for a petronix or a later duraspark conversion.

Planning on swapping the front drums out for some later model kelsey hayes 4 piston units.

Some things actually are better off left in the past....:rofl:

I used a Pertronix in a 1958 Triumph TR3 and I liked it. I'm planning on swapping some disc brakes on my friend's Jeep because he wants to give it to his grandson.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the no power brakes. Or steering. Loved the fact that I could do a full 1/4 turn of the 18" steering wheel and it wouldn't do anything, that made stopping that much more fun. And I never had the top on the damn thing. Drove it in the rain, snow, and mud for 2 years without it.

I had a 76scout II.

Later, a 74scout II

Spring over, 38's, IH 304, carter 4bbl conversion, 727, dana axles.

Un-freaking-stopable.

Loved it.

Never should have sold it.

Meh, life goes on....

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I had a 74 scoutII.

Spring over, 38's, IH 304, carter 4bbl conversion, 727, dana axles.

Un-freaking-stopable.

Loved it.

Never should have sold it.

Meh, life goes on....

Only Scout II I ever had was a free '79 that never ran, I parted it out, should have kept it, it had the 345 and was in really good shape, but I was 16 and didn't know any better. Grandpas friend has a Super Scout, it's mint and he uses it like he should, safari hunting. Anytime he breaks something it immediately gets fixed, the right way. I loved this '67 though. Still have it, technically. Long story short, it was originally my grandpas, he said if I could fix it I could have it. Blew the engine two years later and he had a '99 C3500 CCLB fleet truck left over from his asphalt paving business, I wanted it, so he traded it to me for the Scout. It's still sitting at his storage facility he owns. Empty engine bay, begging for a V8 swap...

I thought the 304 and 345 were AMC engines? I know Scouts also used Nissan diesels in their later years

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I used a Pertronix in a 1958 Triumph TR3 and I liked it. I'm planning on swapping some disc brakes on my friend's Jeep because he wants to give it to his grandson.

I've used Pertronix in several vehicles, always had a good outcome

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I say something that is something I've heard I always add that in to show I don't have any personal experience with it. Of course sometimes there's things I hear about all the time so I can only believe it. But, I do sometimes see where if you ask about something some will say one thing and some will say another and both act like they know it's the truth. I guess in this highly used computer and electronics age a lot more people can give opinions and some opinions are based off of what they think is true. Some people don't realize that some opinions can still be wrong if it's based off a fact or non-fact. There's even some people you just want to tell to shut the up and please don't use a computer and phone anymore lol. The other thing I don't like is when someone has 1 bad experience and they think it's a POS and then when someone tells them the opposite they don't believe it.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
If I say something that is something I've heard I always add that in to show I don't have any personal experience with it. Of course sometimes there's things I hear about all the time so I can only believe it. But, I do sometimes see where if you ask about something some will say one thing and some will say another and both act like they know it's the truth. I guess in this highly used computer and electronics age a lot more people can give opinions and some opinions are based off of what they think is true. Some people don't realize that some opinions can still be wrong if it's based off a fact or non-fact. There's even some people you just want to tell to shut the up and please don't use a computer and phone anymore lol. The other thing I don't like is when someone has 1 bad experience and they think it's a POS and then when someone tells them the opposite they don't believe it.

My thoughts exactly

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Only Scout II I ever had was a free '79 that never ran, I parted it out, should have kept it, it had the 345 and was in really good shape, but I was 16 and didn't know any better. Grandpas friend has a Super Scout, it's mint and he uses it like he should, safari hunting. Anytime he breaks something it immediately gets fixed, the right way. I loved this '67 though. Still have it, technically. Long story short, it was originally my grandpas, he said if I could fix it I could have it. Blew the engine two years later and he had a '99 C3500 CCLB fleet truck left over from his asphalt paving business, I wanted it, so he traded it to me for the Scout. It's still sitting at his storage facility he owns. Empty engine bay, begging for a V8 swap...

I thought the 304 and 345 were AMC engines? I know Scouts also used Nissan diesels in their later years

Nope. The 304/345/392 were all IH.

The confusion with AMC comes in because of the 304 displacement and further confused when IH sourced an AMC 401 for use in the light pickups and the Travel-All.

The IH blocks were hd truck engines. Deep skirted blocks, high nickel content, forged rotating assemblies, etc. They were built to run long and hard and showed it by carrying around 200 lbs more pork than its comparable displacement contemporaries.