Just a quick rant...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not at all. I guess I should specify that this was not pointed at anyone in particular. And I replied to your comment in that thread, right? Trust me, Dave (I assume that's your name from your user ID), I'm not a petty little girl who runs somewhere else to cry about what somebody said. Noone on this forum is feeding me, paying me, or (god forbid) screwing me, so I'm not really worried about their opinions of me, haha. This was just an all-enveloping rant, for both the forums and outside. No hard feelings at all, I'm not a-skeered to say so if I had any. :cheers:

Whew, I can breathe again. Just joking really. That's why I usually put "in my opinion" on stuff like that since it's just an opinion. Dave is right. Are you old enough to remember SuperDave Osborne?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Haha, I don't think you're the oldest. You should look up Kidd, I think he outranks you. I talk to him alot, he lives just a few minutes from me.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What's wrong with "mechanic"?

It's what we referred to ourselves as at one time.

"Technician" is a relatively new term.

Ask and old hand and he just may sneer at you if you call him a technician.

In some circles, a "mechanic" is a gent who remembers what it was like to have to do it all and a "technician" is someone who specializes in one field and is often considered a "one trick pony".

That's a bit of knowledge that has been lost to the ages.

And: Superdave Osborne is BEFORE your time?

Holy crap I feel old now....:rolleyes:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
A mechanic is somebody who remembers how to work on a carburetor and install a set of points.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
A mechanic is somebody who remembers how to work on a carburetor and install a set of points.

I see there's another old fart in here.....:)

And remembers working on drum brakes on all four....

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I'll rephrase that, I hate how overused it is. Seems to me that every schmo who has installed a set of spark plugs calls himself a mechanic, which in turn has given the word "mechanic" a bad rap. I can work on both carbureted and fuel injected vehicles. I don't refer to myself as a "mechanic" or a "technician", I just like to work on and mess with stuff, whether it's in a vehicle or not. People ask if I'm a mechanic, I say "No, but I am mechanically inclined", I think that sums it up pretty well, right?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I see there's another old fart in here.....:)

And remembers working on drum brakes on all four....

My first "restoration" was a '67 Scout when I was 13. Right hand drive with an '82 3.8 (Buick) V6 that I somehow managed to install and get running myself, besides having ZERO mechanical knowledge haha. Four wheel drum, stopped like a blue whale on a butter covered slipnslide.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 73 Jeep Commando that I'm currently trying to get in shape. Carb, points, four wheel drum (no power). It's a real treat to drive. Stopping is always an adventure.

I'm no mechanic, but I've been tinkering with cars for about 40 years. I was 29 before I bought a vehicle that didn't come home on a trailer or hook.