Jet MAF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting my restored '98 2-door tuned by Black Bear Performance on Sunday as one of the last steps in the process. When I went over the mods with them they told me to ditch this $300 part I had purchased. Their words were "The JET MAF provides no benefit, only issues, as they typically limit the maximum airflow reading that they will allow the PCM to see, which causes lean operation"

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this issue. I am not at all interested in questioning the experts, but I was wondering if the Jet product has any benefit on a stock motor? I can't return it, and would like to sell it, but it sounds like it may be worthless.

Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're right. Any aftermarket MAFs typically just cause problems. The main issue is that all of Black Bear's tuning is based on readings from the stock MAF. The JET (or any other aftermarket solution) outputs different voltages than the stock one to "fool" the computer into running richer or leaner. If you get a tune the JET MAF will cause your fueling to be way off, potentially causing a lot of problems and even engine damage.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep i agree.. Ive seen way too many issues with the aftermarket MAF's. And even worse problems when kids "Descreen" a MAF.
Your best bet is to trash it or try to sell if if you can. But its not going to help the buyer any.
Ive used Black Bear Performance a lot and i trust what he is saying. He has a awesome reputation for a reason.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered a new AC Delco stock one to put back on. While I could have put the old one on, everything else under the hood is basically new at this point so what's another $58?