Jakes 4l80e manual control box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed him again and he says that this does in fact cause the trans to shiift at full line pressure, and he said that this box will not cause the trans to fail while towing - said it will probably help it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed him again and he says that this does in fact cause the trans to shiift at full line pressure, and he said that this box will not cause the trans to fail while towing - said it will probably help it.
Interesting...so I was wondering of this on post #10 if this is something you would just install on just any 'ol 4L80e or something that he would include in his builds?

In theory, the higher line pressure shortens the shift time (or firms up shifting), and I believe that's supposed to help prevent clutch burnup. The controller is pretty inexpensive and literally plug and play, so easy to install/remove.

I like how the 4L80e shift from the factory, but I run unmodified drivetrains on my trucks. I've got that 4L80e I rebuilt with the Transgo HD-2 kit and I've thought removing the separator plate and going back to the OEM plate. I haven't decided. I've never driven a modified transmission, so not sure if or how it would shift. I've read the HD-2 is borderline too harsh for daily drivers. :rolleyes:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting...so I was wondering of this on post #10 if this is something you would just install on just any 'ol 4L80e or something that he would include in his builds?

In theory, the higher line pressure shortens the shift time (or firms up shifting), and I believe that's supposed to help prevent clutch burnup. The controller is pretty inexpensive and literally plug and play, so easy to install/remove.

This could be used on any 4l80e, but then it would act like you have a manual valve body. If I use one, I will switch to a console (gated) shifter like a Winters https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wpp-187-1

You would also have to take care of tcc lock up yourself, by adding a switch of some sort.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If what I was told on this forum (and I've no reason to disbelieve it) is true that the trans shifts at full line pressure with the MAF sensor out of the loop (missing fuse) then IMO the shifts are too harsh. Uncomfortable and harsher on the rest of the drive train than necessary - or good for it.

I guess anyone can check for themself by disconnecting the MAF sensor....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Would you be using this with the stock steering column shifter? That would get real annoying real quick having to cycle that up and down in city driving.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you be using this with the stock steering column shifter? That would get real annoying real quick having to cycle that up and down in city driving.
Not me - I'd be using a gated center console shifter, attached to a custom console made so that the height/location is comfortable.

I'm just thinking (for now) on what I want in the next truck that I build to haul our camper south in the winter, and to atv/dirt bike races in the summer.

Not sure if I am sold on the hole manual shifter idea though - the fact that the shifting mechanism (on the side of the trans) etc wasn't designed with the constant movement in mind will probably make me decide to buy a trans controller from somebody like tci instead.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This would most likely be for the next truck that I put together. I had asked Jakes about building me a full manual 4l80e, and this is what they steered me towards. The only thing that I'm leary of is this controller makes the trans run at max line pressure. But - I don't know much about transmissions, and Jakes does...

Line pressure was going to be my question. Maxing it out all the time is a good way to break hard parts. I'm pretty sure that's how I cracked the case on my 4L60.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nobody here has used one of these boxes? That surprises me.
because no one wants to manually shift an automatic ALL the time. jakes makes good products, but i don't know why they would recommend something that shifts at full line pressure all the time for your application. it's hard on the driveline and unnecessary. i assume you're leaning this way because trans controllers are expensive?