Jacking under diff question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are inexpensive (compared to floor jack), compact and have a high capacity.
The capacity isn't the issue for me, its the lack of stability.
The guys doing foundation repairs jacking houses and stuff up use them a lot around here.
Houses with foundations aren't on wheels....
Agree on jackstands...never work under a vehicle supported only on a jack.
Seeing what happened to someone's legs that were under a car when the jack failed taught me this lesson. Hearing a grown man screaming is not a sound you ever forget.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bottle jack-I have a big 10t one and it does the job beautifuly-I always put an axle stand underneath too tho-just in case. I got thus,cause the floor jack wasn't extending high enough(after I changed the wheels-before it was fine on those 20s with skinny tires). Also uses way less space in the trunk(I don't have a garage or drive.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the pad at the nose of the diff a better jacking point?
It's for the pending change of pinion cross shaft and C-clips. I reckon I can do it all but the C-clips with it sat on its wheels. Only need to raise it high enough for the tyres to clear the ground and get it onto axle stands for the C-clip change then back on its wheels.
I have the offer of a trolley jack but not convinced it will better handle the rear of the diff with the cover removed than a bottle jack will. Is the forward point a better jacking point - even if it is forward of the axle line (and thus inclined to rotating the axle backwards)?
(As well as being an arse heavy Suburban, there is also a 120 litre LPG tank above the rear axle which will likely be full so an additional 100kg (220lbs)).

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This image is from the service manual FWIW.

I usually use a wood block (4x4 chunk, or bigger) on the jack's pad, but that's optional.

Ditto other's comments about bottle jacks, but if that's what you've got...

No mention here about jacking "with the cover removed" but I assume that doesn't matter b/c the cover's relatively weak.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have jack stands too? You can jack one side at a time. I know it takes longer and is more work but, you have better control jacking one wheel at a time.
For the very small lift I need that's probably the best solution.
I'm just paranoid about distorting or cracking the diff casing after becoming aware that they are flexible enough to be 'stretched' to facilitate installing the diff cage.

Yes axle stands - with any type of jack - especially bottle jack. Bottle jack though can make raising for axle stands easier due to its compactness.

Thanks everyone. Unless a better solution comes across I reckon I'll go with PWTBI's suggestion.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From the service manual FWIW.

I usually use a wood block (4x4 chunk, or bigger) on the pad.

Ditto other's comments about bottle jacks, but if that's what you've got...

No mention here about jacking "with the cover removed" but I assume that doesn't matter b/c the cover's relatively weak.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wonder if they mean 'center' in the fore and aft direction also?