Is there something better than the OEM TBI carb for my '95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I finished a rebuild (top-bottom) of my '95 5.7 on my Silverado C1500 about 8k miles ago. Since I just have not been happy with the performance of the OEM TBI on it. I can't seem to get it dialed in right.

Is there a more preferred carb/intake set up ? Would a 4 barrel be to much?

I pretty much left everything stock as I needed a friendly daily driver as well.

I currently have the stock (rebuilt) TBI sitting atop

Intake: Edelbrock #3704
Cam: Edelbrock #3702
HEI Distrib: #1103952
External Ignition Coil: #48000 Street fire

All internal parts such as Lifters, Push rods, Rocker Arms, Heads ect are stock specs as well as the 4L60 E trans.

*note* the catalytic converter was removed

Engine runs strong once it's up and operating at normal temp. It's problematic getting there.

I'm open for suggestions/opinions

Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
If the entire setup is stock other than the manifold, no tuning is necessary. Did you reuse all of the old sensors? Was this problem there before the rebuild? What defines rebuild? Bored? Did you do the work, if so what was the ring gap?

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the entire setup is stock other than the manifold, no tuning is necessary. Did you reuse all of the old sensors? Was this problem there before the rebuild? What defines rebuild? Bored? Did you do the work, if so what was the ring gap?
The original eng and trans was tired and wore out with nearly 235k orig miles and ran like crap to be honest. I replaced with a stock short block replacement from this place via a recommendation. So I can only assume that it's at stock specs.

GM Chevrolet 5.7 350 Short Block 1987-1995 TBI 2-Bolt Main - NO CORE REQUIRED - 90 Day Limited Warranty

The heads are new (rebuilt) stock spec. All sensors are new and I've even replaced them all a second time with new ones.

Overall I'm very pleased with the actual performance once it's warmed up. I'm getting 11-12 psi on the fuel pressure gauge that's mounted at the rear of the TBI. The injectors appear to be working perfect and spray a nice even mist of fuel into the bowls.

If I adjust the timing at "0" TDC, I believe to be correct, then it's hard to start, spits and sputters. If I advance to like "20" then it starts easy but idles high near 1500 rpm.

Just seems to be a TBI issue and I can't dial it in.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it have an IAC, and if it does, maybe it is stuck open?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I adjust the timing at "0" TDC, I believe to be correct, then it's hard to start, spits and sputters. If I advance to like "20" then it starts easy but idles high near 1500 rpm.
When you are setting the timing you are unplugging the tan/black wire under the dash before you set it correct.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much left everything stock as I needed a friendly daily driver as well.

I currently have the stock (rebuilt) TBI sitting atop

Intake: Edelbrock #3704
Cam: Edelbrock #3702
No opinion--haven't researched the cam specs.

HEI Distrib: #1103952
External Ignition Coil: #48000 Street fire
Is that a TBI-style small-diameter HEI?
IS THE PICKUP COIL in good condition?
I don't trust Street Fire products.

Engine runs strong once it's up and operating at normal temp. It's problematic getting there.

What does the scan tool tell you about coolant temperature, MAP voltage, IAC position, O2 sensor voltage and cross-counts when the vehicle is warming up?

Just seems to be a TBI issue and I can't dial it in.
Did you ever compare true TDC of #1 against the damper/timing pointer?
What is the cranking compression?

Last edited:

LikeARock94

Reaction score
You say it's a TBI issue but you don't say why. You say you have to set the timing way off to get it to run right, by you don't think that's an issue? The TBI is generally extremely reliable. If you know you have a different problem fix that first before you suspect, with no evidence, that there is a TBI problem. There is basically nothing to "dial-in" on a TBI unless you need to tune the PROM, which judging by the parts on your build, you do not.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk