TBI to Carb or LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Treasure Yards are filled with Vortec engines, the entire OEM roller-lifter system including the used cam could probably be had for <$100. Add the cam of your choice--or choose your cores carfully and use the Vortec cam which is compatible with the stock tuning but with slightly more lift 'n' duration.

All you need is a block that has provision for the thrust plate and roller-lifters. The block you have is "probably" compatible.

Use the (fresh) O2 sensor to relay accurate info about exhaust richness to the computer, and use the scan tool to get info about fuel trims. If your computer is in rich-command most of the time, add fuel pressure. If not, leave it alone.

When it was me, I added about 50 cents worth of machine-screw flatwashers to my existing fuel pressure regulator to jack-up the pressure. JET wants ~$80 for the adjustable housing, and another $20+ for the spring.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBI is a dog but it's stupid reliable. The exhaust needs to be opened up some, I always recommend Borla and it sounds great on these engines. Head swap makes a tremendous difference, but keeping the TBI is going to keep things very simple and reliable. Carb swap is a terrible idea for anything other than hot rods, and even then it's still a handicap.