Is it possible to swap a Tbi engine to carbureted, if so what needs to be changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tparkridge

Reaction score
I’ve been told its possible by changing the heads and intake manifold but what els need to be changed and how do you deal with the computer not detecting the engine or whatever

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You dont need to change the heads, simply buy a carb intake for a vortec. What year is the truck if it’s a 700R4 you just need a Tv cable bracket. If it’s a 4L60E you need a TPS sensor added to your carb. Swap the distributor to a HEI, and thats it really.

Last edited:

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the heads, tbi heads are the worst flowing heads made in the last 40 years. They will work but will hold back a lot of performance. Great for low end torque, what they are made for, but not much else

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Search the threads for previous , tech, hate and love. :Big Laugh:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont need to change the heads, simply buy a carb intake for a vortec.
It's a TBI engine. Just get a '87-later non-Vortec carb intake.

What year is the truck if it’s a 700R4 you just need a Tv cable bracket.
Not to pick on Sean, but this is also an understatement. What carburetor are you planning on? Because that matters.

If you have a TV cable and a Holley, you need the following two pieces. One repositions the TV cable mounting, because the Holley sits further forward, and the other changes the pivot point on the carb linkage because the Holley throttle swing starts further clockwise than the TBI.

If you don't correct your TV cable geometry you will burn up your transmission. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a TBI engine. Just get a '87-later carb intake. You want a spreadbore. The back barrels of a squarebore manifold block off the TBI. A spreadbore manifold is wider, as shown below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not to pick on Sean, but this is also an understatement. What carburetor are you planning on? Because that matters.

If you have a TV cable and a Holley, you need the following two pieces. One repositions the TV cable mounting, because the Holley sits further forward, and the other changes the pivot point on the carb linkage because the Holley throttle swing starts further clockwise than the TBI.

If you don't correct your TV cable geometry you will burn up your transmission. Ask me how I know.
No worries I appreciate the added clarification. I only said to look for a carbed “vortec” intake as it’s a more common description vs a 88-98 carbed intake.

I was under the impression he was going to a carb, not using a TBI on a carbed intake. I do personally prefer the Q jets and you can get them with the TV cable bracket built into the carb. I have several Q jets freshly rebuilt on the shelf. The Q jet is the best all around carb for daily drivers. For boosted stuff I use Holley carbs modified by CSU. Awe yes the old TV cables woes, been there done that 20 years ago. Never again lol . Yes geometry has to be perfect, check line pressures, while driving. 30 minutes of driving with a poorly adjusted TV cable will burn up the trans.

TV made EZ has some good articles about this topic.

I digress, we don’t know which trans he has yet could be a 60E?

Last edited: