Is a '93 Cargo Light Retrofit Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wiring for the cargo light is accessible by removing the driver's sill plate and looking in the wiring retainer underneath. I believe orange supplies power and white is ground for the light. The white wire is hot until it is grounded by the dome light turning on. All you would have to do is tap into the white wire coming from the brake light switch (hot when depressed), then connect it to the orange wire and ground the white wire coming from the cargo light. As for handling the leftover wires, simply unplug the cargo light plug in from the convenience center and you should be good to go.

Convenience Center diagram:

(Side note: I installed a later model 3rd brake light on a pre-94 truck, and discovered that the dome light plug-in will operate normally when plugged into the cargo light location, but not the other way around)

As for the bulbs, I have a white one of these in my pre-'94 cargo light right now and it works fine, red ones are available:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Awesome reply, thanks man. So, tap into the Brake White with the Cargo Orange, ground the Cargo White, unplug the Cargo Harness. Is that correct?

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome reply, thanks man. So, tap into the Brake White with the Cargo Orange, ground the Cargo White, unplug the Cargo Harness. Is that correct?
Should be right. You could probably hook white to white if it is less confusing, just thought I would say to hook power up to the original "power" wire. I would also make sure the wires you are tapping into are indeed the cargo light wires by following them to the convenience center (I think the dome light has the same colors) to make sure you cut the correct ones. If you want to go all the way, you can take out the cargo light switch and find a cover for the slot from a junkyard.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be right. You could probably hook white to white if it is less confusing, just thought I would say to hook power up to the original "power" wire. I would also make sure the wires you are tapping into are indeed the cargo light wires by following them to the convenience center (I think the dome light has the same colors) to make sure you cut the correct ones. If you want to go all the way, you can take out the cargo light switch and find a cover for the slot from a junkyard.
White to white and ground the orange? Do you know the path of the cargo light wires through the truck?

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wiring for the cargo light is accessible by removing the driver's sill plate and looking in the wiring retainer underneath. I believe orange supplies power and white is ground for the light. The white wire is hot until it is grounded by the dome light turning on. All you would have to do is tap into the white wire coming from the brake light switch (hot when depressed), then connect it to the orange wire and ground the white wire coming from the cargo light. As for handling the leftover wires, simply unplug the cargo light plug in from the convenience center and you should be good to go.

Convenience Center diagram:

(Side note: I installed a later model 3rd brake light on a pre-94 truck, and discovered that the dome light plug-in will operate normally when plugged into the cargo light location, but not the other way around)

As for the bulbs, I have a white one of these in my pre-'94 cargo light right now and it works fine, red ones are available:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hi, I know this is an older thread…but I noticed you mentioned putting an aftermarket brake/cargo light on a pre-94 truck. Which unit did you install? Thanks!