Is a '93 Cargo Light Retrofit Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, messing around with some upgrades and maintenance lately and remembered my cargo light doesn't work. It used to be toenail-yellow so I color matched a junk yard lens white because it didn't work anyways. The paint is chipping now and I'd like to try to utilize the light again. I would just buy a new clear lens for it, but totally can't justify the cost on it especially if it doesn't work and 98% of people wouldn't notice it. Even so, I think we can all agree that even in 100% functioning condition, the cargo light is useless considering all the 'safety' features in place with it.

If possible, is there a way I could wire it in with the lights / brake lights to make a 3rd brake light in the '93 housing? I could definitely justify a new lens then I figure. Anyone have any ideas or directions?

To clarify - I am talking about using the existing '93 housing and lens, and just adding a red LED in the clear housing, and running it off the brake lights.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the wiring diagram for a '94 which is first year for the CHMSL on the 400's. You'll need the brake light signal from before the turn signal switch.

Your next issue is coming up with a suitable lens and housing, if you don't want to replace your existing clear lens, because the 94-up CHMSL is a very different shape and requires a couple extra holes punched in the rear of the roof. Also depending on your cab style (regular/crew or extended) there are two different OEM housing shapes and availability is getting sketchy.

If you replaced your clear lens on your existing housing, you could rig up some red LED's in there for the CHMSL but I don't think there is a ready-made one that will hook up to that weird socket setup, so you'll be doing a little DIY work there, too.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with you on the first part definitely. On the second part, and I'll edit the post, I was talking about using the existing '93 housing and lens, and just adding a red LED in the clear housing. Is that what you're saying about the socket? Do you know that size off of the top of your head?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with you on the first part definitely. On the second part, and I'll edit the post, I was talking about using the existing '93 housing and lens, and just adding a red LED in the clear housing. Is that what you're saying about the socket? Do you know that size off of the top of your head?
See post #4 - we were just talking about these in another thread.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh... see what you're saying now. Been so long since I've looked in there I assumed it was a festoon. That complicates things a bit...

In that case I wonder if I could rig up a socket for an LED and run it completely independent of the cargo harness down into the brake light wiring.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It might just be a festoon bulb. Pop the screws and give it a look. It's been over 10 years since I've even touched one and I can't recall ever replacing a bulb in a pre-1994 cargo light, and online information for the bulb # is scarce. What I found may be incorrect.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10/4, I'll take a look. I'll try to study some wiring diagrams as well. Thanks for your help this far!

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wiring for the cargo light is accessible by removing the driver's sill plate and looking in the wiring retainer underneath. I believe orange supplies power and white is ground for the light. The white wire is hot until it is grounded by the dome light turning on. All you would have to do is tap into the white wire coming from the brake light switch (hot when depressed), then connect it to the orange wire and ground the white wire coming from the cargo light. As for handling the leftover wires, simply unplug the cargo light plug in from the convenience center and you should be good to go.

Convenience Center diagram:

(Side note: I installed a later model 3rd brake light on a pre-94 truck, and discovered that the dome light plug-in will operate normally when plugged into the cargo light location, but not the other way around)

As for the bulbs, I have a white one of these in my pre-'94 cargo light right now and it works fine, red ones are available:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the bulbs for all the lighting in the trucks is listed in the owners manual, if you have it, you know in the glove box. Or the service manual in electrical and lighting all the numbers and bulbs, lamps and what who they are. It's so easy.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All the bulbs for all the lighting in the trucks is listed in the owners manual, if you have it, you know in the glove box. Or the service manual in electrical and lighting all the numbers and bulbs, lamps and what who they are. It's so easy.
Easier than stomaching some of your snark, that's for sure.

Richard