Internal leaking intake manifold gasket, confirm my thought process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plus my manifold gasket blew out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
insufficient clamping forces or extreme induction forces or extreme input from unaccounted variables. such as exhaust valves opening and the intake valve is far too open, sending hot and degrading gasses the wrong way.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far so good. They’re all built like this. The fel pro was too long. This one fit better. Make sure you do something to fix up around the coolant ports. I filled the eroded parts with epoxy and smoothed it out before reinstalling the new gasket.

Glad you got it figured out!

That's weird, I've had good experience with the FelPro intake gaskets,, somebody must've accidently stretched the mold at the factory during the Panic Pandemic.

Another thing that Shurkey touched on is when the Vortec V8's overheat they are likely to warp the intake and/or crack the heads.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out!

That's weird, I've had good experience with the FelPro intake gaskets,, somebody must've accidently stretched the mold at the factory during the Panic Pandemic.

Another thing that Shurkey touched on is when the Vortec V8's overheat they are likely to warp the intake and/or crack the heads.

That said, my Vortec small and big blocks are highly inclined to NOT overheat even when pulling heavy.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That said, my Vortec small and big blocks are highly inclined to NOT overheat even when pulling heavy.

Except for my 96 Express with the 305, my 5.7's all read fairly cool.

The problem is nobody knows if previous owners have overheated the motors, either by not paying attention to coolant leaks or mixing conventional coolant with DexCool (which I believe happens a lot).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Except for my 96 Express with the 305, my 5.7's all read fairly cool.

The problem is nobody knows if previous owners have overheated the motors, either by not paying attention to coolant leaks or mixing conventional coolant with DexCool (which I believe happens a lot).

True, I just wanted to point out that, in my limited truck experience, the Vortec cooling systems seem to be quite robust compared to, say, a GenV 454.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, I just wanted to point out that, in my limited truck experience, the Vortec cooling systems seem to be quite robust compared to, say, a GenV 454.

The differences between the two cooling systems is pretty subtle. I wonder if it’s just the fact that the gen VI big blocks make more mechanical use of the fuels energy rather than so much wasted to heat.