Interior lights wont turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99caddymess

Reaction score
I have recently been having a problem with my 1999 gmc sierra crew cab. I can not turn the door lights or courtesy lights off. I replaced the door jamb switches, and the head light switch to no avail.
I took apart both rear door switches and there was only wire on both of them so I'm guessing those aren't even operable. I have tried tracing all the wires as far as I can and can't find any shorts to ground. I have no clue where else to look.
I don't know what it could be any help is appreciated. Tyia

Edit: I forgot to mention the dome overhead is in, I try pushing it but it only dims them a little. Also, the dimmer doesn't change anything on both of my light switches. I should also note that I upgraded all the interior lights to led a little bit ago. They were working properly for a while, but now they just stay on all the time.

Last edited:

99caddymess

Reaction score
I have recently been having a problem with my 1999 gmc sierra crew cab. I can not turn the door lights out courtesy lights off. I replaced the door jamb switches, and the head light switch to no avail.
I took apart both rear door switches and there was only wire on both of them so I'm guessing those aren't even operable. I have tried tracing all the wires as far as I can and can't find any shorts to ground. I have no clue where else to look.
I have also checked other forum posts about this issue and none have been quite the same.

I saw one about replacing the third brake light with a cheap ebay replacement(which I did) and having this issue. It was solved by cutting the red/yellow wires. So I tried it but again it did not work.

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some leds don’t have enough resistance and will cause funny problems, had it happen on a f350 I owned.

My suggestion is put regular bulbs back in your dome lights or install the factory third brake light.

99caddymess

Reaction score
Some leds don’t have enough resistance and will cause funny problems, had it happen on a f350 I owned.

My suggestion is put regular bulbs back in your dome lights or install the factory third brake light.
I actually found out there was no bulbs in the dome lights, and that sort of fixed the problem. Now my problem is they won't turn off with the doors if the key is off

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how long the timer is but they are on a timer (at least mine are) with the key off when you shut the doors they stay on for a minute or so and shutoff automatically :shrug:

Also iirc the switch’s complete the ground circuit with the doors open so you’re only going to have one wire anyway.

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 Suburban that the courtesy lights would come on and off at will. I found that "relay...or whatever it is" was the problem. In the dash fuse panel...driver side dash...there are 2 relay looking things. Left side of fuses, stacked vertically. I could gently wiggle the top one and the lights would turn on and off, even with the button that renders those lights Inoperable pushed in. I replaced it problem went away.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 Suburban that the courtesy lights would come on and off at will. I found that "relay...or whatever it is" was the problem. In the dash fuse panel...driver side dash...there are 2 relay looking things. Left side of fuses, stacked vertically. I could gently wiggle the top one and the lights would turn on and off, even with the button that renders those lights Inoperable pushed in. I replaced it problem went away.
You may have given me something to try - my interior lights come on when it gets below -10C. Been a 3 year mystery. Maybe one of the 'relays' is afraid of the cold ... :cool:

Joshs88

Reaction score
I have recently been having a problem with my 1999 gmc sierra crew cab. I can not turn the door lights or courtesy lights off. I replaced the door jamb switches, and the head light switch to no avail.

Edit: I forgot to mention the dome overhead is in, I try pushing it but it only dims them a little. Also, the dimmer doesn't change anything on both of my light switches. I should also note that I upgraded all the interior lights to led a little bit ago. They were working properly for a while, but now they just stay on all the time.
I was having somewhat of the same issue. I found that my door switch wasn't being activated when the door was closed. (I was missing the striker pad, currently looking for a replacement.) I have talked to several people who have had problems that as their truck ages, the door panel weakens and slightly bows in, just enough so there is not enough door movement to activate the switch.
Just a suggestion. Good luck.